9 | You Can Never Dig Her Back Up

For my friend Ella (whose wattpad account I do not know because she won't tell me) for her eye for detail. Thanks for helping me with the corrections! :)))

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

"Come on," Nate said. "Here."

Nate led me inside an alley and we both snuck behind the dumpsters. We've been running for what seemed like hours and we still hadn't gotten rid of the stupid paparazzi. We led them to the mall and since I had blue hair, they spotted us immediately and shooed the people away as they ran toward us. I didn't care to see if they were video taping us and me and Nate were holding hands. At least my mother would be happy about something when she watches her "rebellious" daughter on TV. She will be like, "Oh hey! My daughter's running from the paparazzi! Oh well, at least she's holding her fiancee's hand!".

"Never in my whole life have I ever imagined to be stuck behind a dumpster with you," I said to Nate as I brought my hand to my nose. "It stinks here."

"Well, at least we'll lose the paparazzi," Nate smirked and put his hand to his nose as well. "Ugh, it smells like pee here."

"It's because hundreds of drunken and sober men have already taken care of their bladder here," I commented. "And our backs are probably rubbing on it."

It was true, though. We had our backs on the side of the dumpsters and that's where men pee, right?

"Let's just not think of it that way right now," he said, grossed out.

"Alright, let's just have a very interesting behind-the-dumpster conversation," I said and smiled widely at him.

He ignored me and kept peering at the end of the alley, looking for wandering paparazzi.

"Hey, if you don't stop that, they'll see us for sure and if you haven't noticed, this alley is a dead end," I said.

"Right, sorry," he apologized and rubbed his palm over his face. "I'm just a bit paranoid."

"Who wouldn't be?" I asked. "Especially when you've been chased by them your whole life. Ugh, I can't even explain it to you."

"You don't need to because I know how it works," he said and I looked at him with sincere curiosity. What did he know about being chased by the paparazzi?

I raised my eyebrow and asked, "What?"

"You don't know do you?" he asked.

"What?" I said again.

"Our family owns one of the largest companies in the UK and the media had been badgering us ever since," he shrugged as if he'd explained it to a thousand people already.

"Oh," I just said, a little bit guilty that I never knew.

"You don't watch the news do you?" he asked.

"Huh?" I asked, slightly confused.

"We're always in the news," he said. "They report a bunch of issues that people obviously just made up."

"That's sad," I said, frowning

"Well, I'm sure it's just half as bad as your situation. I mean, you're the princess and I often hear and read things about you," he smirked. 

I chuckled. "And that is why I don't watch the news, Nathaniel."

"Please don't call me that," he said and I laughed.

I rocked back and forth, trying to get rid of the boredom of waiting for the paparazzi to somehow disappear in thin air.

"It really is stinky here, Nate," I said.