i

I walked over to the window as I held a cup of tea in my hands. My eyes drifted to watching the tear drops fall against the window as the cool air brushed against my body through the open window. My eyes averted to the cup I held in my hands as I lifted the cup to my lips, gently sipping at the warm liquid inside of the cup. It was just warm enough for me to nearly hiss at the touch of it falling on my tongue.

Lowering the cup I looked back out the window. The world outside was silent at the moment, but I knew that wasn't going to last for much longer. It's only 6:30 AM. In just an hour or so the streets would be filled with police officers and the towns people, yelling and screaming about how they want justice for a group of people that were wrongly killed.

I knew I would be out on the frontlines protesting just as I was yesterday, and the day before, and the day before, and everyday ever since these protests started. It was getting very tiring, but there wasn't much I could do. I knew I couldn't allow myself to stop until justice was given to those that died. I refused to allow myself to back down and stop protesting.

My eyes drifted back to the streets as it continued to rain. The air felt good, but it was chilly. I held my cup with one hand as I pulled the other away from the cup as I closed the window. I turned away from the view and walked back to my room, placing my cup on the counter in my kitchen as I passed by.

I stepped into my room with a tired body and mind. I was exhausted. I didn't sleep all too much that night, but I knew I could get through the day. Just as I have been the past few days. It doesn't feel like this is coming to an end and these protests have been happening for six months now. Is anyone else just as tired as I am?

I stepped to my closet as I went through and pulled out a black pair of jeans and a black T-shirt. I stepped over to my dresser and pulled out my undergarments and placed them on my bed. I decided not to shower, due to showering last night. I've been showering too much at this point. The water has more of a calming effect on me compared to anything else that I've tried to relax.

I slipped out of my pajamas and started to dress myself, sliding out of my underwear and pajama pants to put on my new pair of underwear and my black jeans. I slipped my shirt over my head and put my bra on, along with the black T-shirt. Walking over to my dresser I put deodorant on and grabbed a hair tie.

I slipped out of my room as my bare feet slapped against the floor with each foot step I took. My mind was racing. I entered my bathroom as I brushed my hair and tied my hair up in a tight, low bun. Sliding back out of the bathroom I rushed to my room and grabbed a pair of socks. I took a quick glance at my alarm clock. 7:15 AM. Time seemed to be moving faster than usual. I walked into the living room and sat down, slipping my socks on.

I sat back for a moment, catching my breath as my eyes drifted to the ceiling. I started to get lost in thought as I sat for what felt like an hour, but in all honesty it was only five minutes. I didn't have much more I had to grab. Time seemed to be so much more precious now then to how it is whenever I come home. I allowed myself to sigh and take a moment to take in everything that's been going on. Those who died deserved better than what they got.

Knowing I had to leave, I stood and walked over to my door. I slipped on a pair of leather combat boots, black of course. I grabbed my black hoodie off of the coat rack and slipped it on. The feeling of the empty hoodie was cold. I grabbed the black beanie, my keys, and face mask that was on the door table, putting my keys in my pocket and putting my beanie on along with the mask. I grabbed the set bag I had by the door and slung it over my shoulder as I opened the door to my apartment, locking it as I closed it behind me.

The hallway was filled with life. Others who were going to the protest marched down the hall to ascend down the stairs or enter the elevator to leave the building. With a small huff I walked down the hall just as everyone else was and marched down the staircase in silence. The sounds of chanting started to fill my ears as I started to get closer to the emergency exit that was at the bottom of the stairs. Everyone was slowly swimming out.

Once I stepped outside the chilling air of the outside world brushed against the skin on my hands, it was wet and cold. That wasn't enough to stop me from being on the front lines. I started to rush through the crowd of slowly growing population to get to where I wanted to be, running past people, saying the occasional 'I'm sorry' to those who make a comment on how rude I was being. It took a bit but I finally got to the front. I stood there in front of the police officers as I held my fist up high. Chanting words out as others repeated.

My eyes were kept on the police officers that stood in front of us. We were in the center of the city. There were thousands, if not millions in that location. It was very much just like every other day, we stood here and we chanted to our heart's content. Until we thought we did enough for the day only to return to our homes that night and rest for the next day of peaceful protests.

I stood in the front with many others who kept their eyes on the police officers as they chanted and yelled. The sounds of their voices filled my ears. I could feel my body aching as it started to feel heavy. I kneeled down as I lowered my head, I kept my fist up to show I was still trying to participate when suddenly everyone else around me was kneeling with their fist up. Silence became a wave as everyone kneeled.

Time seemed to have stopped as we kept our heads down, a fist in the air as the only sound around was the sound of the rain hitting the ground. Then suddenly it happened. The sounds of gunshots started to fill the air. Everyone lifted their heads as screams started to fill the air. The policemen on the ground area started to move in as others were backing up. Everyone in the frontlines besides me started to move back in fear of what the police would do. I lifted my head as I looked at the police officers walk towards me.

I watched as they started to throw things into the crowd. The fumes passed by my face and I could feel my eyes starting to burn and itch. I hissed in pain as I stayed my place. My body started to feel weak, the weight of my bag and the heavy feeling of my wet clothing was weighing me down. It didn't help I was tired. I started to lose my sight and balance as I slowly started swaying side to side, before I knew what happened I was laying on my side.

I could barely keep my eyes open at this point. I knew it wasn't a good idea to sleep on the road especially with police practically stomping over me but I had no energy to move. Though, it felt as if I was moving. It felt like the ground under me was moving outwards. Am I moving? I tried to open my eyes but couldn't open them by much. I tried to look up, but when I did all I saw was the sky and someone at my side.

Is someone holding me? I struggled to open my eyes more as I turned my head, moving my arms to see what was happening to me. I felt fabric when I reached my hand out around me. Was I being kidnapped? I tried to open my eyes again, I managed to have my eyes halfway as I looked around. I was against someone's chest.

"You're okay. Stay calm." It was a male. He spoke low. His voice was deep. Was it deep because he was speaking lowly? Or is it because his voice is actually deep? Either way, I did as he said. I couldn't keep myself up and aware anymore. I fell limp in the arms of a stranger in the rain.