thirty three.

Third Person POV

A few weeks later

Heejin waved goodbye to Yeojin, who had just gotten on the bus. Turning around, she saw Hyunjin chattering her teeth and blowing into her hands.

"Let's go," Hyunjin said, walking forward not waiting for Heejin.

As soon as Heejin caught up to Hyunjin, she offered her hand, only to rejected. She slapped the girl's side a few times to get her attention. No response.

"Coward," Heejin whispered.

Hyunjin stopped in her tracks before saying anything.
"We're in public, and were near school." Hyunjin responded.

Heejin let out a loud scoff and continued walking. After a minute or so, Heejin got over it and slowed her pace to match Hyunjin's.

Out of habit, Hyunjin stuck a cigarette inside her mouth. She pulled out her lighter, but stopped once she felt a pair of eyes glued onto her. Slowly turning her head, she saw Heejin squinting her eyes at her.

"What?" Hyunjin asked "... It's cold."

Ever so slowly, Heejin offered her hand once again.

"Oh c'mon, you can't be-. Heejin it's fucking cold-," Hyunjin said, stopping once she saw Heejin glaring at her. "It's just one cigarette, it's not like it's gonna kill me."

Heejin kept her hand out, not budging one bit.

"Stop," Hyunjin said. She started to feel compelled to hold her hand.

Trying her best just to ignore it, she put the lighter back to the cigarette. She stopped a centimeter away from the cigarette. She looked down at Heejin's hand, that was still out.

"My god," Hyunjin mumbled. She spat out the cigarette and took the girl's hand, and placed it into her pocket.

"Good," Heejin said with a smile plastered all over her face.

Timeskip to Lunch

Hyunjin sat inside at their usual table. She pretended to listen to the conversation going around the table. In actuality, she was looking out the window, staring at the girl eating alone on the track. Who was it? Heejin of course. She began to feel guilty, like she wasn't enough.

"She really could do better," Hyunjin whispered, only loud enough for her to hear.

Immediately, she felt a pair of arms wrap around the back of her shoulders. She slowly turned back only to see Youngho's head on her shoulder.

"You smell really good," He said, lowering his head.

Hyunjin noticed how worn down he looked. His right eye was bruised up, his nose looked like it was bleeding, and he looked like someone hit his lips with a bat. Not to mention, there were a few scratches on his cheeks.

"Jesus, what the fuck happened to you," Hyunjin said, even though inside, she couldn't care any less.

"The usual," he responded, closing his eyes.

The usual could be a range of things. Bar fight, actual fight, etc. But Hyunjin really didn't care enough to ask. It was bad enough she had to put up with this bullshit.

After a few moments, Hyunjin elbowed Youngho off. To which he just went to sit down near her. Hyunjin took out her phone and quickly typed a message.

[Kim Hyunjin]
roof?
read 12:37

Hyunjin quickly got up, trying to be as casual as possible. The second she took one step away, Youngho pulled her back.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"Bathroom," Hyunjin quickly responded. She tried to walk again, but he didn't let go. Hyunjin glared at him as she ripped his hand off of her shirt.

Hyunjin ran up the flight of stairs leading to the roof. She knew she probably had five minutes max before he got suspicious.

She slammed the door opened. A soft smile crept up her lips when she saw Heejin sitting on the ledge, waiting. Hyunjin quietly walked to the girl, and hugged her from behind.

"What's wrong?" Heejin asked, patting the girls cheek.

"Nothing," Hyunjin responded "I just missed you."

A little laugh came out of Heejin. "It's one lunch, you'll survive, plus you could always breakup with him," Heejin said, whispering the last part.

"I'm sorry," Hyunjin said.

"Don't say that. You know I don't care, it's just lunch," Heejin said. Honestly, Heejin wasn't the most fond of the idea, but at the same time, she didn't really care. At least she truly had the girl.

"No, how about the rest of our life? I don't wanna do this anymore," Hyunjin said.

"You'll figure something out by the end of the school year," Heejin said, trying to be as positive as she could.

Hyunjin sighed. "I should go," she said. She pecked Heejin's cheek and left the roof, leaving Heejin all alone.

Heejin hugged her knees. A part of her was worried. What if she couldn't figure something out? The thought sent chills all over her body. She knew she couldn't bare leaving Hyunjin, but at the same time she couldn't live like this for the rest of her life.

"It's gonna be fine," Heejin whispered to herself.

-

coat 🧥