Baked or Steamed?

"So, was i right?" Was the first thing Kani asked when she saw Toshinori walk in. It was the middle of her lunch rush and she was balancing two large trays in her hands. The place was packed, just about every seat was filled with customers. She managed to guide him to a single person table near the glass display case, pulling out the chair for him with her foot. "Just wait here and ill be right with you. The menu's right there and the lunch specials are on the back."

"Can i get some more coffee over here!" A man called out. Kani smiled but grumbled quietly to herself as she walked away to tend to her impatient customer. He watched her wind her way through the tables and people with ease, placing down plates of food and pouring coffee as she went. Even handing a napkin to a young boy who had chocolate all over his mouth.  She ducked back into the kitchen to put down her trays before coming to Toshinori's table with a notepad, "what can i get you?"

"Uh, I'll take the four bun special and a cup of that cinnamon coffee."

"Alright, Steamed or baked?"

"You do that here?"

"Some people like the traditional way more than others. I'm just here to cater." She joked half heartedly with a sigh, she had to put in the steam option after some elderly customers wouldn't stop complaining for months on end. "I'll take baked please."

"Good choice. I'll have those to you in a moment." She called out as she walked behind the counter. He watched her pour the coffee with one hand while the other slipped open the small oven she had under the metal counter with her foot. Her other hand grabbed a plate from the stack and a pair of tongs, she placed two cinnamon sticks in the coffee along with some cream. The cup was placed on a tray and she ducked down and pulled four buns from the oven, each steaming with a shiny coating. She gracefully wound her way back to his table and placed down the food, "here you go. Need anything else?"

"No thank you." He happily inhaled the warm scents of meats and spice, his once faint hunger was replaced with a deep one. He thanked her once again and picked up a bun, taking a big bite the flavors ran over his tongue. The bun was soft and was filled with perfectly spicy pork, the warmth traveled down his throat and settled in his chest and stomach. The comforting warmth helped settle his nerves, settling his mind from its frantic thoughts. Finishing it off in another two bites he wiped his hands and pulled out his pen and notepad. He still had a party to plan that he had no idea where to start.

But he had to try. So for the next hour and a half he tried to come up with- well anything. But his mind was running a blank, and he was running out of paper. He finished his cup with a sigh, "Mind if i join you Yagi-san?"

"Of Course. Go ahead."

  "Thank you. Thank goodness, the lunch rush is finally over." Kani sighed happily, pulling up a chair to sit with the tall blonde. She placed her towel over her shoulder while using the edge to wipe her glasses, "its always busy on weekends. Especially now with the holidays so close."

"I bet, although you're not the only one. Us teachers have to grade everything before the students go back for the holidays. Only reason I'm here now is that they are putting in some more security measures." Grumbling he balled up another page from his notepad and placed it with the slowly growing pile on his plate. He started again, scribbling on another yellow page. "Geez, having trouble brainstorming for a test?"

"No, a party I'm supposed to host for the staff." Another ball was crumpled. But Kani grabbed it from the pile and opened it. Reading over the black chicken scratch that was his handwriting.

Food:
Tiny Hot dogs.
  Cheese squares
Grapes
. . . Salsa?

Venues:
  My apartment 
  School
  . . .