xxvi.

michelle

"Good! What do hydrogen and oxygen molecules combine to make?" Luke asked me another question from the textbook, me hanging upside down on his bed and his head laying on my stomach.

This is how it's been for the past few days. I'd go over Luke's house after we picked up Grady and Ethan. We finally set an actual schedule, even if it was absolutely pointless now, and it'll keep going until the final exams on Monday.

"Do you think I know?" Groaning and sitting back up to make sure the blood doesn't rush all the way to my brain. It wouldn't make me any more unintelligent than I already am.

"I told you this yesterday! It's the simplest part of chemistry!" He moved to turn off his music, currently on Sic Transit Gloria... by Brand New.

"Uh, I don't know, water. I think." No, I remember this. It's literally the simplest part of any science, I'm not that dumb.

"Yes! What reaction?" He sat back down on the edge of the bed in front of me. His ankle over the opposite knee while he looked down at his phone.

"Excited?" My head fell on to his bed, not quite hitting his pillow. I was too tired to even think about school right now. We had an entire week off for - actually, I don't know what for.

"Ha-ha. Try again," Luke said. He'd put the book back down when he got up to turn the music off. "You know exams are Monday, right?" Luke rose his eyebrows at my current position, moving back to hanging off of the edge of his bed where I continued dreading the amount of effort I had to put in every five seconds for the past hour and a half.

"Synthesis. And don't remind me, if I flunk it's your fault." I told him, indecisively sitting up again and leaning on my elbows. The chemistry book was sat in my lap on a page I forgot about, talking about something I didn't understand and probably will never actually apply anywhere. My eyes were closed tightly, my head hurt. "Can I go to bed now?"

He laughed and shook his head. Closing his book and standing, he pulled my arm up so I was standing with him.

He ignored my last comment. "This is my bed, no. Anyway, you're getting better. Not that answering a grade three chemistry question is progress, but still."

"You've let me sleep in your bed before, Lucifer boy." I turned my head to glance at my phone; 9:24. I should be home. "I need to go home. My mom may like you but I don't think she trusts me." No, I just really didn't want to stay again.

It was pouring outside tonight (which it's been doing since the day Luke stole my pizza), I could hear it over Luke's music while he was helping me. I stood up, slipped on my vans and decided I would have to walk in the rain. I don't plan ahead for being drenched in the world's tears.

"No," he dragged out. "Tomorrow's Saturday. You should see if you can stay around."

I was confused, lifting up one of my eyebrows while looking at him. "I don't think Brooke would appreciate a girl in your house while the sun isn't out."

"But Brooke's not here," he said, standing up and walking over to me near the door. I had to crane my neck and look up at him. Even at night his bright eyes were still more than visible. "And plus, it's raining."

As much as I would love to stay and actually have a good friend for once, girl fights aren't my thing. I have so much to live for, like seeing the color Michael's hair will be in twenty years! Or if he'll even have any!

Another reason was exactly that; Michael. If I stayed, I would be re-enforcing my feelings for Luke and it's not like I was sad that I had them, but Michael isn't the happiest about it. I would never, ever do anything that would make my best friend (if he even considers me that anymore) upset but I truly don't think I could help the dumb smile that appeared on my face every time Luke was around.