31st: Surreptitious

Vee's POV

"Hey bro, want to eat lunch together? I'm already hungry." my co-worker, Mild, asked me as he approached me on the table. I just laughed because he's always hungry.

I looked at my watch and saw that it was already time for lunch so I nodded. "Sure, let's go." I said and I stood up.

We went out of our building and chose a restaurant where we'll eat at. There are a lot of restaurants outside our office so we didn't need to use our cars anymore. We sat down and ordered our food. "Hey bro, how are you?" Mild asked. He was working on a project outside of the city so its the first time we met in months.

"I'm fine bro. There are a lot of things that happened while you were away but I'm good." I answered truthfully. Mild is a very good friend of mine so I really share a lot of things with him and vice versa.

"I heard you got a divorce. I though you and Ploy are doing well?" he asked curiously as he looked at me.

"No dude. Everything was already going downhill even before. You know we're just arranged right?" I answered.

He nodded. "Yeah, but I thought you guys were okay but I guess not. What happened bro?" he asked.

The waitress came to serve us our food so I let her finish first before I answered. "Its a long story dude but the good thing now is that we're not together anymore. I didn't love her all these years and now, I'm finally free." I said happily.

It seems like he got what I said so he smiled back. I know he understands me and he's genuinely happy for me so that's all that matters. "Then that's good bro. You shouldn't have agreed to the arrangement in the first place." he said.

"I know. Its also partly my fault on why I was stuck in something that I didn't want." I said. It was true though, if I wasn't scared of my father back then and if I wasn't afraid of losing my inheritance, I wouldn't be suffering now. But now that I'm braver, I can finally face everything head on.

*ring ring

I got my phone on my pocket and saw that it was my mom calling so I quickly answered it. "Hey mom." I greeted her.

"Vee, I already got it. I have it." she said, almost like a whisper.

I quickly got what she meant. She has it. She already got the proof about my father's illegal dealings. "Okay mom. I'll come pick you up later okay? Be ready." I asked her.

"Okay son. Your father is not here right now and he's at his office. I don't know what time he'll come back so please make it fast." she answered and I can feel the agitation in her voice. Even I, am really nervous right now. This is literally now or never.

"Don't worry mom. I'll go as soon as I finish my work today." I assured her just to make feel a bit better. "Call me if dad comes home before I get there." I told her.

"Noted son. I'll get ready now." she said.

"Okay mom. Be careful okay? I'll text you as soon as I get off here." I said and ended the call.

"Is there any problem?" Mild asked while he was eating. He was looking at me confusedly, maybe because he heard the strange conversation between my mom and I.

I smiled, trying to show him that there's no problem. "Nope, everything's fine." I said and continued eating.

The whole day passed on too slow. I was nervous and excited at the same time because finally, I'll be able to get my mother away from him. But on the other hand, I am nervous that something wrong might happen and our plan will fail. And if it fails, my mom will be the one that will get hurt and I don't want that to happen. I'm sick of seeing my mom get hurt because of me.