Chapter |28| Tug and War

Me and Ryder ended up sleeping the whole day and I woke up the next morning completely satisfied and happy

Me and Ryder ended up sleeping the whole day and I woke up the next morning completely satisfied and happy. Ryder was still asleep, so I gave him a kiss on the forehead, before heading to the shower.

I threw on a large jumper and a pair of white shorts, and then put on my sneakers. The beach always calmed me and made me feel at peace, so what better way to start the day with a morning walk. I grabbed a banana on my way out and found the kitchen fully stocked.

Ryder must have spoken to my parents about this place, otherwise how would he have known where it is? It made me feel all mushy inside, knowing how much thought he put into this. To be honest, I was expecting one of the classic honeymoon destinations like Hawaii, or Bali or Italy, but this is much better.

I wasn't exaggerating when I said the beach was literally at the doorstep because it was. Only three large steps and you're looking at paradise.

Despite being quite warm, it was still breezy and sand kept blowing everywhere, even landing in my eyes, so I decided to walk into town.

Another strong gust of wind sent sand flying everywhere. The sand blocked my vision and I  accidentally smacked into something hard that sent me flying onto the ground.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry." A familiar voice said, as a hand made its way in-front of me.

"Gabi?" The voice asked in disbelief and I finally looked up to see my old friend, Maddox.

Me and Maddox first met after my mum accused his dad of trying to kidnap me. She invited him to dinner as an apology, which definitely did not bode well with my dad, but it led to the start of a beautiful friendship.

Ever since then, me and Maddox used to hang out together every time we came. My dad hated it but it was never more than just a friendship between us to. Maybe a few pecks on the cheeks, tights hugs and holding hands but that was it.

He lived here, whereas I lived in London, so most of our friendship blossomed over FaceTime, late night calls and texting. He moved away when I was sixteen to train to be a soldier, so I haven't seen him since then.

I have to say though, the army did him well. The scrawny kid I once knew, is now jacked with muscles everywhere. He looks like he could crush me if he hugged me tight enough. He definitely grew taller too, probably around the same height as Ryder if not more, and his curly hair is unruly and long enough to be tied into a small bun at the back of his head.

"Mads, oh my god!" I screamed, practically jumping on top of him.

"You're back. Wow, it's been a couple of years." He smiled brightly, showing of his cute dimples.

"Yeah, well that's your fault for deciding to go and train to be a soldier. How's that going by the way?" His smile faltered and hurt flashed over his face, making me worried.