nightmares

"I'm leaving you, Jason! I won't live like this!" Tanya screamed. "I can't do it!"

"You think I can? You think I wanted this?" Jason shouted in response. "I didn't ask for this, Tanya! It's not my fault!"

"I don't care! I can't keep all your secrets for you. I didn't marry you for a life like this!"

"What about the kids?" Jason screamed again.

"I don't know! I'll be the bad guy, I don't care!" She shouted, tears streaming down her face. "I'm leaving, and i'm never coming back."

"Mady?"

"Mady!"

"Mady!"

Screaming filled her ears when she was discovered, before she ran away. She pushed open her bedroom door, and there she saw her brother sitting on her bed.

"Cole?"

"Mady, stay away from them." He warned.

"Stay away from who?."

"They're bad for you, Mady" He sighed. "They're just like mom."

"Mom? What did mom do?"

Cole paused, rubbing his head aggressively. "You don't remember?"

Mady shook her head no.

"She beat us. She abandoned us. She left us, Mady!" His tone became harsher. "She left you!"

Tears welled up in the young girls eyes as she shook her head no.

"It's true, Mady. She doesn't love you!"

"Shut up," She began in a whisper, her voice raising every syllable.

"She hates you!"

"Shut up! Shut up!" She screamed, clamping two hands over her ears and backing out of the door way.

As soon as she turned, there she saw her mother again. Older this time.

"Don't come back, Mady," She whispered.  "Stay away from here."

"Here?"

"Don't come back here." She warned again, her volume lower.

"Mom, what happened?" She begged to know.

"It's not what you think, Mady. Nothing is what you think." She warned. "Go, go, go!" Her voice became louder, suddenly a shout erupting from her lips. "Get out!"

"Mom, wait, why- I don't understand-,"

"Get out!"

Her shoulder was suddenly yanked from behind her, sending her stumbling. When she balanced again, she was on JJ's back porch.

"Get out!" Her mother's screams continued echoing through her ears.

"JJ?"

"Carter," He smiled, leaning in to give her a hug.

"That was an uncommon display of affection, you feeling alright?" She joked, reaching her hand up to feel his forehead.

He slapped her hand away, chuckling. "What would I do without you keeping me on my toes?"

"Mady, get out!" The words rang through her ears before she felt a sharp slap in the face.

She stumbled backwards, tripping over her own feet and landing on the hard, wooden floor. JJ mounted her immediately, placing a hand around her neck.