the downfall

"We need to find Sarah." Mady muttered as the car came to an abrupt stop in the middle of the road.

"That's gonna have to wait," Pope replied half heartedly. "We've got bigger problems."

The other four tried to follow his line of vision, but Mady didn't know what he was seeing. All she could see was the Kildare Island ferry and a bustle of locals scurrying about.

"What?" She pressed.

Pope grunted, running a hand over his face. "Cops."

"What? Where?" She spit out quickly, sitting up straight.

JJ grabbed her shoulder, pulling her back down to the seat. "Hold your horses, Carter. Let's not forget you're a 'missing person' right now."

She rolled her eyes at him, but leaned back anyways.

John B sighed deeply, and the blonde and brunette pair glanced over to see a pained look on his face.

JJ clamped a hand on his shoulder, which was his silent way of letting him know it would be all right.

Pope drove to the right slightly, and it became clear that he was in no shape to drive. His foot fluctuated heavily on the gas, making their bodies jerk forwards and backwards as he moved to park on the side of the road.

"Someone's gotta go get his ticket." JJ sighed, putting both arms behind his head as he leaned back against the seat.

"We should check it out." Kie raised an eyebrow and looked to Pope for his answer.

He nodded, putting his baseball cap on top of his head and reaching for the door handle. "I'll be back."

With that, he was out the car and walking towards the bulletin bored filled with fliers and info about the Kildare Island ferry.

"Guys, for real, we need to find Sarah." Mady spoke up again.

"Mady, just-chill, okay?" JJ held out a hand motioning her to bring it down. "We'll find her, but we have to get John B off the island first."

Mady shot up straight again to look at the blonde and brunette boys. "Well, what are we supposed to tell her? 'Sorry your dad is a murderer and we abandoned you, but at least your boyfriends safe, wandering around somewhere on the mainland?' We-we can't do that!"

John B shrugged lightly, keeping his eyes closed. He opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by the sound of Kiara hushing them.

"Okay," Popes voice spoke in the distance, effectively grasping everyone's attention. "Okay. All right, no."

"Pope, can you act normal?" Kie snapped at him through the open window.

"So, um... okay, so, bad news." He reached the drivers side window, scratching the back of his head. "The ferry's closed, and... there are these."

He leaned inside the window, two pieces of paper in hand. "Do you want the bad one or the worse one first?"

Kie wasted no time snatching the papers from his hands, and examining both carefully. Pope pulled open his door, casually sliding back in.

Mady watched Kiara's eyes go wide, and her heart started beating quicker. "What?"

"What is that?" John B mirrored her question. "What is this?"

Kie passed the papers backwards, in which JJ took hold of them next.

"Well, John B, uh... this is a good framer of you." JJ held up the paper, keeping it blocked from Mady's view.