homestretch

"JJ what the hell, man!" Mady panted as she placed a hand over her heart. "You almost gave me a heart attack!"

He narrowed his eyes at her from the other side of the porch steps.

Mady fiddled with her fingers behind her back as he stood up from an outdoor chair and slowly walked towards her. "Where ya goin'?" He asked quizzically while keeping his eyes narrowed.

Mady released the tension in her shoulders so she could appear more relaxed and honest. "Just going for a walk. Get some fresh air, stretch my legs..."

JJ stopped a few feet infront of her and looked around at his surroundings. "So... you're going for a walk...in the middle of an island-wide murder investigation... when your face is all over the news? Yeah, that makes a lotta sense."

"Can't sleep." She shrugged. "I won't go far." Mady smiled and turned on her heel quickly. "I'll be quick."

JJ scoffed behind her and yanked on her wrist until she spun back around to face him. "Do you wanna get caught?" He sassed her. "Cause I can hear the sirens from here. You may as well call them over. HEY!"

"Shh-,"

"HEY! SHOUPE? I GOT MAD-,"

"JJ, shut up!" Mady growled as she clamped a hand over his mouth. "What are you so mad for, dude?"

JJ rolled his eyes dramatically and crossed his arms. "I know exactly what you're doing."

"Oh yeah?" She sassed, folding her arms over her chest and mirroring his stance. "What's that?"

"You wanna keep the cops away from us."

Mady shook her head and rolled her eyes. "Yeah as if. JJ, i'm literally getting air. Chill."

"Cut the act, dumbass-," he snapped.

"Dumbass? Really?"

JJ sighed. "Just, can you please just come inside. You can't go."

Mady groaned and ran her hands over her face.

"Okay, fine, listen." She muttered.

What's gotten into you? You gave up your act so fast.

"I have the perfect plan. I'm gonna go home and get Sarah. We'll head to the station and tell them everything we know. It's our best chance."

JJ shook his head. "You're wanted. Why would they listen to you?"

"Well, they have to listen to someone. And no offence, but I have a better shot than you."

"Mady," JJ groaned, trying to break it down for her. "They think you were there. They won't listen to you right now."

"Fine." She sassed. "Then I'll go home or hide in a board shop or something for a couple days until you guys get John B outta here and they move their search." JJ opened his mouth to speak but Mady cut him off. "Listen- if we get caught and i'm with you, you'll all go down with me. There's no need to risk that."

She sighed and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Get John B off the island and i'll come find you in a couple days."

And with that she was turned and walking the other way.

"Yeah, no." JJ called after her, and she could soon hear his feet tapping against the ground. "That's a terrible idea."

Mady ignored him and picked up her pace a little as she headed in the direction of the road.

"Carter, stop." JJ groaned as his voice suddenly sounded much closer.

Mady spun around and shoved his chest hard, which caused him to stumble. This gave her enough space to take off in a sprint in the direction of the road, where she would dive deep into the forest.