calm before the storm

This wasn't exactly what Mady had in mind when she asked for more adventure and excitement in her life. She needed friendships. She needed danger. She needed Kie, and Pope and John B. She gained trust, and gave it. She earned respect, perspective and added little more edge to her witty personality.

Mady had gained so many things from this group. They had so many laughs, so many close calls and potential felonies. Mady was never the type to rely on people, or to admit that she needed them. She didn't let many people in, particularly those who shared the same socioeconomic status as she.

Although, one thing had in fact changed about Mady. Though she would never own up to it, she'd grown attached to a certain blonde boy. Neither of the teens were emotionally stable enough to admit it, or maybe it was the deep seeded trauma they shared, but there was a connection between them that they couldn't deny. It would only be a matter of time until the others realized it.

"Pope, you clocked that car, man," JJ laughed hysterically, taking a pull from the joint between his fingers before passing it off to Pope. "Like, that was so bad!"

Pope glanced over his shoulder for an uncomfortable amount of time while inhaling the smoke into his lungs. "I'm just glad i'm not driving now."

Mady sat up straight, making nervous eye contact with Kie in the passenger side.

"Pull over!" She commanded him.

Pope skidded around a corner, sending the passengers flying before the tires squealed and they came to a stop.

Mady rolled her eyes at JJ, making sure he noticed, and looked out the other side window. He wore his hat yet again, and it rest backwards on his head.

"JJ, it's not funny." Kie snapped, hopping out of the car. "He shouldn't be driving."

As soon as her door slammed shut, JJ made a sly remark. "Mamas mad."

While Mady could often sympathize with the boy, and understand where he's coming from, now was not one of those times.

Mady scoffed at him, folding her arms across her chest. Pope crawled across the front armrest into the passenger seat, and looked like an idiot doing it- she concluded.

She was fed up with the boys right now and wanted them to sober up.

Kie finally climbed into the drivers seat, and JJ questioned her. "Where're we goin' Kie?"

Mady looked up, only to hear her answer.

"The last place their gonna look."

JJ's eyes wandered from her to Mady, and when the small girl beside him made eye contact with him, she snapped her head away.

"What's your problem, Carter?"

"Don't have one," She mumbled back stubbornly, keeping her eyes trained on the passing trees.

"You definitely look like you have a problem." Pope added, watching her from the front seat.

She pressed her lips into a line, moving only her eyes to glare at Pope.

In response, he held his hands up in surrender and mumbled to JJ. "You're on your own, man."

JJ sighed, leaning forward to wrap his arms around her. "Ya w-okay?" He mocked softly in a baby voice.

Mady shoved his arms away, as he continually tried to hug her tightly. "Get off." She grumbled.

Kie looked through the rear view and her eyes landed on the pair. "JJ." She snapped. "Sober up."