temporary goodbye

Mady smiled at the memory and listened as the radio blared something out.

"Suspects have just left Station 26 in a small boat. Need marine patrol to respond." A mans voice spoke through the radio and Mady rolled her eyes.

She pulled her phone out of her pocket and glanced at the screen. It was blown up with text messages and calls from a handful of different friends, family and random numbers. A Find My iPhone notification occupied the bar across the top, and panicking, she decided to throw her phone into the ocean.

She chucked it overboard, and John B gave her a weird look.

She shrugged before he could say anything. "If anything my mom said about them tracking me is true, might as well stop that now."

John B nodded understandingly as he focused on his driving again.

If JJ were here, he'd made fun of me and say something along the lines of, 'must be nice to be rich.' I would almost prefer that over John B's silence.

"Weather advisory for tropical storm Danielle expected to make landfall in the Outer Banks and surrounding areas within the hour."

"That doesn't sound good." Mady acknowledged. She now sat in the seat beside John B but they were nearing the docks.

"No kidding." He joked. "Might be a bumpy ride."

"You don't have to go through it though, right?" She decided to double check to be safe. "Taking an open boat into a tropical storm? Bad plan."

John B didn't say anything, only shook his head.

Mady sat up straighter and snapped her head in his direction. "Wait... that's not what your doing... right?"

He shook his head again. "No-no. Sorry-I'm distracted. No i'll miss the storm, I'll go right by...." And suddenly he trailed off. His eyes narrowed, then widened.

"Dude, what?" Mady spat out nervously as she watched his expression change.

"John B!"

She heard faintly.

No fucking way.

Mady shot up in her seat and stood beside him, squinting in that direction. She had to stand on her tiptoes, as the top of her head only came to his shoulder, but her eyes quickly locked on to what he was seeing. "Oh, my god." She mumbled to herself.

"Current wind speeds are 65 miles per hour... and rising..." The radio continued to speak.

"Sa-Sarah!" He shouted.

They watched as she sprinted down a dock, but it wasn't her own.

"What are you doing at the Landry's?" Mady shouted, realizing immediately that it was very irrelevant right now.

John B glanced down at her and furrowed his eyebrows, before focusing on Sarah again.

"John B! Mady! Wait!"

"Sarah!" Both teens in the boat called out.

John B killed the engine, and they quickly pulled up to the end of the dock.

"Guys," She cried, jogging towards them quickly.

Mady helped the boat dock, and gave her friend a hand as she stepped into the boat.

Before she could turn around, Sarah engulfed her into a massive hug.

"I've been so scared," She whispered in her ear. "Can you believe it?"