when trouble finally catches up

Mady snuck around the house carefully, peeking through back windows to try and gain a vantage point.

What if their not even here?

The wind was howling, sending her hair flying every direction, and blowing through her clothes, making them snap.

The sky was dark, and it looked like it could pour any second.

Mady finally worked up the courage to just go inside, but unfortunately, she learned that the back door had been locked.

She peered through the window, and muffled her own gasp when she saw the back of her father stood in a doorway. She couldn't tell what he was doing, because the wall cut it off, but she could tell it was him.

She snuck around to the front of the house next, and when that door was locked too, she furrowed her eyebrows.

They never lock the doors if their home. Why are they doing it now?

She hadn't lost faith yet, and remembered her final option: the window.

Mady jogged to the pillars quickly and carefully, and climbed upwards as fast as she could. Her feet fit into the grooves perfectly, after years of doing this exact thing. When she finally reached the top, she grabbed onto the edge of the roof, and pulled herself the rest of the way up.

Mady walked across the rooftop, until she got to her window, but something stopped her from going inside.

Her room was a mess. Everything was torn apart. Drawers were open, her bed was unmade, and clothes, items, shoes etc were scattered all over the floor.

Who trashed my room?

Mady carefully slid the window open, climbed in, and lowered herself carefully to the floor.

She looked around her room, seeing more clearly what was torn apart. There were empty medicine bottles sat on her bedside table covered with police caution tape, which particularly got her attention.

Upon closer inspection, they were in her name, and labeled for a serious of different disorders that she certainly didn't have.

Anti-depressant
Bipolar Disorder
BDP-Borderline Personality Disorder

Who's setting me up?

All she wanted to do was have a hot shower and wash the dirt, sweat and blood off her body. She knew there wasn't time, but she splashed water over her face and stuck her head under the sick faucet to rinse her hair as best as she could.

She tied it into a bun, and washed from her wrists to her elbows, washing any of Peterkin's old blood off, and any extra that'd accumulated.

She knew she'd regret it later, but she decided to keep her tie-dyed tank top and jean shorts on, for the sake of saving time.

When she reached her door, she took one last look at her bedroom. No doubt her father had trashed it purposely, but why?

The police had been here already, and she noticed a few items, such as pens, dresser drawer handles, and her tv remote had been marked.

Are they scanning for my finger prints?

Mady knew that wouldn't be good, because they'd likely be building a case on her if that was so.

When she worked up the confidence, she pulled open her door, and carefully and quietly tiptoed towards the stairs.

It occurred to her suddenly that she wasn't exactly sure what she was doing. All she knew was that without her family, she would be homeless. She just needed to see them one more time, to prove to herself that this was it. That they were the monsters she feared, and that leaving them wouldn't be the biggest mistake of her life.