Chapter 1: The Mad Hatter

Hi there, you beautiful soul! Thank you for giving this story a chance. You have no idea how much it means to me. I hope you'll love reading the story and connect with the characters on a personal level.

Please, don't forget to vote for your favorite chapters and leave all the feedback you want in the comments. Those comments and votes are a true motivation for every writer. They help our stories reach more readers, so please take a second to support me with a vote or a comment.  

Besides, I personally LOVE reading your funny, cute, criticizing and sarcastic comments, so yeah, go ahead and tell me every thought you have about "Midnight Memories", I'm dying to hear your theories and opinion.  Much love.

***

Chapter 1: The Mad Hatter

"And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good," I read the new quote aloud for the hundredth time today, as I stand in front of my wall.

I take a step back and admire the work I have just finished, that is, remaking "My Wall" in my new apartment.

In case you are wondering "My Wall" is a wall I decided to call mine. No, okay, I'm joking, it's a wall I had back at home, where I used to stick interesting facts about things like the universe, people, art, music, and also lyrics, quotes that I loved at that moment, or artworks and piano notes I would like to play, but now will never be able to...

So yes, that's what "My Wall" is, but since I couldn't bring my old room along with me to Chicago, I decided to create one here as well, and now, after almost two hours of working my butt off, it's finally ready.

My eyes roam over all the facts, lyrics, and quotes I have already stuck on the wall facing my bed, before landing back on the last one again: And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good...

I repeat it over and over again. It's sad to realize just how many times I need to repeat it in my head to actually relate to it. Although, I feel like Chicago will help me do it sooner than I think. 

It's truly magical how a single change of location can become a strong source of hope and high expectations.

Snapping out of my philosophical mode, I run to get my shoes on and hit the supermarket I saw on my way to my new apartment block. As soon as I exit the building, the cool night air hits me like the cruel witch it is, making my dirty blonde hair fly everywhere.

"Just perfect", I hiss and hug myself securely, fastening my steps and deciding not to give a damn about my hair, which I'm pretty sure looks disastrous by now. Oh, well, no one knows me here anyway.

The lights illuminate the streets and, honestly, nighttime is my soul spirit. It has always made me feel safe, although most people might disagree. I guess it's because I like the feeling of not being seen or not being surrounded by small crowds. Everything is just so calm and beautiful at night. Different, in the best sense of the word.

As I walk, I keep looking around, trying to see as much as possible. I have been in Chicago since morning and all I've done so far is unpacking, so naturally, I didn't really have time to wander. Now, as my eyes roam around the streets, everything is interesting to me. It feels like I've moved to another planet, not just another state.

I am passing a narrow alley when I hear police car sirens from somewhere. This city seems crazier and louder than my hometown, Indianapolis. Maybe that's the only thing I loved about it- my hometown was calm most of the time, just like I am. Hit me up at any time of the day, and I'd be chilling in my PJs, surrounded by my books and laptop.