Chapter 18: Midnight Memories N8 or "He's My Lifeline"

Well, well, well... *puts down the cigarette she's been smoking and leans back in her chair*

(oh shoot, I don't even smoke! anyway...)

...bet you didn't expect THIS to happen in this chapter, eh!? Please don't forget to vote and comment for the parts you like. I need a little more motivation and encouragement! 😭

PS I just LOVE this band and this song so much. When I was writing this chapter years ago, I always had this song in my head. It's so beautiful and suitable for Kailena. I don't know, it's that perfect song you can't stop listening to.

"Hold me now
Till the fear is leaving,
I'm barely breathing..."

***

Chapter 18: Midnight Memories N8 or "He's My Lifeline"

I stick my head out of my door. The coast is clear. No sharks, dinosaurs, evil robots, aliens? No Kai? Nope.

I test the waters some more and stick my foot out into the hallway. Yeah, I can finally go to work in peace. I start to tiptoe to the elevator when a voice stops me.

"What are you doing?" I tense, closing my eyes for a second before realizing it's not Kai and then relaxing.

I turn to face James and give him a relieved smile. He's standing in his doorway, wearing his slippers and gray PJs even though it's almost past 3 in the afternoon.

"Hi." I wave at him awkwardly.

"What are you doing?" He repeats, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Going to work. What are YOU doing?"

"Not spying through the peephole, obviously."

I let out a humorless laugh.

"Right. How are you these days?" I ask him, trying to make small talk. I see him out and about all the time, but never get past the polite greeting and 'how are you's. Though Kai is buddy-buddy with him. I've got to admit James looks really easygoing and young-spirited.

"He went out hours ago," James tells me, ignoring my question. When I give him a confused look, he explains. "Kai. He's been out for hours now. So, you can stop being all awkward and finally go wherever you're going, Jesus." And before I can make an excuse or argue, he shuts his door in my face.

Oh-kay? Am I that obvious? Knowing that James is probably still watching through the peephole, I wave at him and shout "thanks" before turning and pressing the elevator button.

Today is Friday, so Kai shouldn't be at work. He usually shows up only on Mondays and Thursdays. Though Rob claims that recently he's been showing up at work on our air days.

Anyway, he should be in his office upstairs, so no, the chances to meet him are one in a hundred.

I successfully reach the lobby of the "P&D" company and stand with the crowd waiting for the elevators, whichever will arrive sooner.

As I keep looking around myself, to avoid Kai, if he shows up here out of blue, I try to remember what happened at his apartment the day I was drunk. Last night I couldn't even sleep for an hour, because my mind wouldn't turn off.

I'm so desperate to remember everything happening at his place that night, that it's almost painful. But no, I don't remember anything else, besides my stupid confession over his shoulder and the whole Teddy Bear story.

The doors of the second elevator open with their usual annoying sound and when I get ready to walk in with the rest of the crowd, my eyes catch the sight of perfectly suited Kai leaning against the elevator wall looking down at his watch. My eyes widen and I turn around in quick motion and start to walk (or am I running?) toward the staircase before he can look up. I grab the staircase reeling when I hear Kai's voice.