chapter 25: everyone but her

Here. You. Go! Please don't forget to comment and vote to support my writing! You might also want to watch the new book trailer attached to this chapter! It's so pretty-pretty! 

Hope you guys are enjoying the ride along with me because I'm having a blast posting these chapters, yeah-heeeey! ^_^ 

***

chapter 25: everyone but her

Kai's POV

19 years ago

I hear screaming and shouting and banging again. It seems like I hear it all the time nowadays, even when they are not there. Mom always tries not to make much noise and bother the neighbors, but he shouts for both of them.

Usually, when he comes home drunk, Mom tries to do anything to keep him out of my room, but sometimes she doesn't succeed and he beats both of us. Honestly, I'd be okay if he only beat me, and didn't touch my Mom, but he doesn't want it that way. He likes it when Mom and I have blood on our faces and are crying and begging him to stop.

He's my Father and I hate him.

I don't usually hate him when he is not drunk. I wish they didn't sell alcohol at stores. Because when he is sober, he's my Dad. He loves Mom and me, he kisses Mom on the cheek all the time, he buys me books and brushes to paint with. I love those days, but they were so long ago, I can't clearly remember when.

Everyone looks at me as if they know who I am and what happens to me when the night comes down and he comes back home. I think everyone does though because as much as Mom tries to cover it, kids at school notice the blue.

Everyone looks at me differently and weirdly and sometimes I want to laugh at the funny look they have on their faces when they see me.

I think they feel like I'm different in some ways, they feel uncomfortable around me... I read somewhere that people usually don't like the different ones. They certainly don't like ME.

Most of the time they try to pretend they don't see me...everyone, but her.

She has just moved in next door. She has blonde hair and green eyes. I think I love green now. I've been using that color more when painting in my sketchbook. I like painting green Suns and green skies. Green bears also look cool. I also like drawing her.

Since I watch her secretly, I can see her every move and every time she looks at me, thinking that I won't notice, but I do. I just don't have enough courage to go and say hi. Sometimes she gives me a smile, when our eyes meet, as she drives her purple bike around our house.

I like it when she watches me. I like the way she watches me and smiles at me without a reason. Like she sees only me without my blank face and blue spots.

Like she likes watching me.

Mom knows I watch her every day. She baked a small cake once and asked me to take it to them as a gift since they are new here. I didn't go. I ate the cake with Peter Pan in our backyard, not because I wanted it, but because I am too scared. I'm scared that if she sees me from up close, she will hate me.

I don't want to scare her away, I don't want her to hate me.

I want her to keep watching me. I want her to be my friend.

She lives with her dad. I don't know where her mom is. I'm happy I have a mom. But her dad is cool. I always thought dads were as scary as mine. I always thought they beat their children and they always said bad words and they always got drunk. But not her dad.

He is always smiling and kind to her. He even says hi to me and my mom and smiles at me and ruffles my hair. I wish my dad were like him all the time.

I hear my bedroom door open and I hold my breath.