Chap. 4

I sat at the back of the palace, looking up at the sky, the stars glistening in the night. After what I'd read in the note, I had asked to go outside for fresh air. I still couldn't believe what I'd seen, and at the same time, I wasn't exactly sure of what to do either. The letters had been bolded and they had been clear for me to read out. It didn't even take me that long to figure out what the letters spelt out. "romain is next". I wasn't exactly sure of what that meant. Romain was next. Next in what? Was the note talking about Butler Romain?

"Hey. I thought I'd find you here."

I turned my head a little, but just by hearing the voice, I already knew who it was. I smiled a little as Adrien took a seat right next to me, giving me a smile of his own. Though I had wanted some alone time a few minutes ago, I appreciated Adrien being here now. Ever since I heard I was going to be queen and everyone were getting prepared for the Coronation, I hadn't exactly spent enough times with my other friends, that including Adrien. I was either hanging out with Alya, or in my room imagining just what being a queen would be like, or helping my parents out with the bakery. Right now though, I busied myself with the thought of my parents' death being my fault. If I had never accepted being queen, if I had stayed at home instead of going over to the Royal Palace, then this whole death scene would never had happened.

"I'm sorry if I interrupted your alone time. You looked really lonely out here," Adrien spoke, but I only brushed it off, telling him it was fine. Adrien had always been considerate when it came to other people's feelings, which I guess was one of the reasons why I really liked him back then in high school. It had been such a stupid crush; I'd realized that after some time. When we hardly spent time together after high school, I guess my feelings for him just disappeared into thin air. Ever since then, I'd only ever considered him as just a friend, and I was glad he hadn't known about it either. He'd been completely blind to my feelings. I guess this was one of the main reasons why I was known as the stone-cold girl when it came to boys asking me out - because I didn't have time for any of that.

"Life has been so crazy," I muttered as I bent my head down, feeling like I was about to start crying all over again. "I'm just so not cut out for this. It's just so crazy thinking about it. First, you're standing in front of everyone at your Coronation, smiling brightly, a little nervous, but still happy with everything that's going on. Then you're being crowned queen, and everyone is cheering for you, and it just feels like your happiest moment in life. But then the next day, you find your parents dead, and everyone starts thinking it's suicide." I sniffed, my snot going up and me holding back tears. "I just don't know what to do." The next thing I know, Adrien had leaned forward, pulling me into a hug I hadn't realized I needed so much.

I took in a deep breath, trying to gather my thoughts together. Though he broke the hug, Adrien still stayed close, and I could see a look of pity on his face. "Ask yourself, Marinette. . . Do you really think it was suicide?" I didn't even have to think much into it because I already knew the answer. I quietly shook my head at the question, biting my lower lip at the process. "I don't think so too," Adrien continued, surprising me a bit. "I've known your parents and they were never the kind to support suicide. So, if they didn't do it. . .then, who did?"

I finally got what he was trying to say. "It could have been murder. . ." My voice trailed off. Who would hate my parents so much in order to kill them? Thinking of that question made my mind suddenly go back to the note. "Romain is next". My heart started pounding. It couldn't be. . .! I immediately stood up from where I was sitting on, theories rushing inside my head. "Oh my goodness. If all that's true, then that must mean it hadn't been a coincidence. My brain hadn't been playing tricks on me. A voice really spoke in my head, warning me of the note. The note was a hint as to who was the next victim!" I looked down at Adrien to see he was frowning back at me. Right! He wouldn't get it. He probably thought I was crazy for spouting those words out. "I-I have to go, but. . .thanks anyway." Quickly waving at him, I took off back inside the palace.