Chap. 6

I moved my chair back before I stood up from it and started walking over to my bed. This wasn't good. This wasn't good at all. I had failed to stop the murderer from getting to Butler Romain, so how was I so sure I could pull this off and protect my own best friend's parents? Thinking very hard about it, I sat down on my bed, taking my phone out. I was shaking all over, something I usually did whenever something was just too much to take in and I couldn't do anything at the moment. Looking at the screen of my phone, I suddenly started dialing the first phone number that had come to mind. As soon as I called it, I bit my lip, wondering to myself why I had even called him. Yes, he was my friend and I trusted him, but would he even believe me if I told him everything about what had been going on, including me having these strange ability where I could see hidden messages in notes?

But I didn't hang up anyway. I waited until I could hear his voice. He said hello on the other side of the phone, while I thought about what to say to him. "Uh. . . Adrien?" I cleared my throat, not exactly sure on what to say next, but I said aloud the next few words that came to mind. "Is it okay if you came over?" Seriously, Marinette?! I face-palmed myself as I groaned a little away from the phone.

"Well, I would. . . but I'm not sure if you'd want me over there," Adrien's words confused me a bit, and I was about to ask, but he didn't give me a chance as he continued speaking again. "Have you seen what people are saying online? It's chaos, Marinette, so I'm not exactly sure if you'd want me over."

I frowned a little. "Okay, I'll call you back." Hanging up on Adrien, I went on the internet and searched up the latest news. I gasped loudly when I saw what it was; the first thing I'd seen was the large picture of Adrien and I. We had our backs facing the camera, which means whomever had taken the picture must have been somewhere behind us. The next picture I saw was of Adrien and I hugging. I clenched my hands a little to see the captions of the pictures. It triggered me that even on my second day of being queen, people were already starting rumors of me. Adrien must have felt so uncomfortable seeing this, and I did too. Standing up from my bed, I exited out of my room and started heading downstairs.

In the enormous living room, a lot of people were gathered there. It looked like everyone who worked in the palace were having some kind of meeting here. I cleared my throat to get their attention, and their heads turned back at me. One man started heading towards me. "Ah, Your Majesty, you're here. One of us was going to bring you down, but I see that's not necessary anymore. You may be wondering what's going on, but yes, we are having a meeting." The man turned to face the others as he spoke. "We still don't exactly know what our jobs are, and as the new queen, it is your job to give us our jobs. Would you like for our jobs to stay the same, or do you want to change a few things?"

I looked from one face to another, trying to see if my memories worked and I remembered at least a few of their faces and their names. "All the maids and servants, your jobs are being kept the same. But after exactly 11:30 P.M, none of you are allowed to work anymore. Go to sleep or something. Have a break. For all those night maids, your work have been switched to daytime. No more nighttime working. Take turns each day. The maids who worked at daytime before will do their cleaning duty on every first day, while the maids who used to work as night maids will work in the daytime every second day." I instructed, trying to look as queenly as I could. "You," I pointed over at a random man, "will replace Romain as my new butler. And you two," I turned over to two more men, "will work as my bodyguards. I'm actually quite of a mature person myself, and I enjoy working and doing chores. Sometimes I'll make my own food whenever I'm hungry, but when I need help with anything, I'll get help from the three women who are in charge of food."

I made sure to give out instructions quickly, because I didn't want to stand around talking about chores and who got to do what. I wanted to continue with the mystery that somehow only I knew about. "I know there's a list of rules the last queen created. I'll deal with that later when I'm not too busy. Raphael, please help me out with the news online. Delete everything you see about me and Adrien and make sure to warn the reporters not to post such things again or else they would have to deal with me!" After giving out my last order, I whirled around to leave. "Butler Louis, please follow me out. I would like to get a ride to my parents' bakery." I started walking towards the front door.