Chap. 17

I found out after a while. . . when I had seen Lila yelling at Laura, it hadn't been present time. I thought maybe, my powers would be able to lead me to where Lila was and what she was doing right of now, but instead, it led me to something that had already happened. Yup, the argument between Lila and Laura had actually happened two weeks ago. My abilities didn't allow me to see what was going on in someone else's life right now; it only let me see what had already happened. It was nice to know this, because if not, I would have really been clueless about what was going on, which could cause quite a lot of problems.

I stared down at the picture of Clara Nightingale, which was on the papers Chloe had brought to me before when we were at the hospital, visiting Nino. It was time to finally figure out who this woman really was, what her motive had really been, what kind of person she had really been. It was time to finally experience it for myself, and not take it from other people's mouths.

I closed my eyes as my fingers landed on Clara's face. Immediately, after a while of focusing, I was sent to a different place. I remembered Bridgette telling me that whenever she wanted to have a 'meeting' with me, she only brought my mind to a certain location, not my entire body. So, I completely understood that whenever I used my ability, it wasn't my body that was taken to someone else's past; it was just my mind. Right of now, my body was stilll laying down on my bedroom floor, motionless, while my mind was in this weird location that I couldn't quite figure out. At first, it didn't look like Paris to me, but then I understood that it was just a quiet area with barely any houses around. So far, I could only see five houses, but I was standing right in front of this black house that really seemed to stand out from the other houses. I walked up to the door without hesitation, and opened it up, before walking inside.

It was quiet, but only for like a few minutes of looking around before loud screams started coming from what seemed to be the basement. I headed to a trapdoor that I caught, and quickly opened it, but before I started climbing down, I noticed a calendar hanging from another room door. I looked at it, and a small gasp escaped from my mouth when I realized what date it was.

May 5th, Tuesday.

This was the same exact date I was being crowned queen. . . the same exact day Clara died. No way! Was I just about to witness Clara's death scene? I started climbing down the ladder with that thought in my head. When I stepped down from the last step, I looked around. The room was incredibly bright, and I noticed the bright light was coming from the back of the room I'd just entered.

I heard the scream again. This time, because I was much closer, it sounded louder and I was able to somehow identify who's scream it was. Bridgette. It was Bridgette screaming. I suddenly got excited, feeling like I was close to solving the biggest mystery of my life. I started walking over to the back of the room. While walking, I noticed a girl sitting by the corner, and when I looked closely, I was a bit surprised to see it was Laura. Another scream sounded, which got me to move faster.

"Just be patient, my precious daughter," I heard a voice. It sounded so cold, so murderous and nasty. I wouldn't have known who had spoken if I hadn't seen her face. Clara Nightingale. "Bridgette honey, it's almost done. Be patient, dear. It's almost done. You're just about to become the biggest and most successful experiment I'd ever dealt it. I can't believe this is happening." She clapped her hands together like an excited five year old. "Soon, I'm going to prove to all those people that it's not only the stupid crown that can give you powers. So can I!"

I was confused with everything that was going on, but soon, I found myself standing right in front of this huge machine which would have probably taken years to build. I wasn't sure on how to describe it, but it was sort of shaped like a coffin with a glass door, except there were all these buttons and lights coming out of it. Inside, I could see Bridgette laying down, eyes and mouth wide opened with fear written all over her face. She was screaming, yelling for it to stop, and Laura, who was sitting by the corner was muttering something to herself as well. It was obvious the experiment or whatever was going on was hurting Bridgette, and it was hurting her badly. I gulped, knowing that there was no way to stop this myself because it already happened and I couldn't rewrite the past, so instead, I did the next best thing I could think of. I walked over to where Laura was sitting and leaned in closer to her face to hear what she was saying.