Chap. 5

I pushed past a crowd of people, even more fear arising inside of me as I got closer. We were in front of what happened to be Romain's small house, where he had moved into after he moved out of his parents' house. But. . .how could it be? Romain gave me a call, and then a minute later, he's reported dead? There's no way he could have been dead and people knew about it so quickly to spread it around in just one minute. There's no way police officers would get over to his house, see he's dead, and three police officers would come over to the palace to inform me in just one minute. I finally got to the front and rushed inside through the opened door. There's no way. . .!

I stopped short. They hadn't been kidding at all. They were now carrying Romain up to take him away. I looked at his face; it was so pale, so lifeless. I only looked away from him when they covered his face. I rushed over to one of the police officers. Something just wasn't adding up here. "Hey!" The officer turned around, giving me his attention. "When?" I let out the words. "When did he. . .?"

"Someone called the police department at 9:54 A.M informing that there was a dead body. That person was the delivery man. He said he found the door opened, which was so unlike Romain because he always liked to keep his door shut. Well, we got the call this morning, but looking at Romain, I say he's been dead since yesterday's night. Probably at 11:00 P.M."

"That can't be. . ." I took a step back as my voice trailed off. "No, maybe you got something wrong. He couldn't have died yesterday! That man couldn't have called you at that time!" I insisted, showing just how serious I was about this. "At 2 in the morning, Romain gave me a call telling me he was fine and all that. At exactly 10 in the morning, he gave me another call, showing me that he was fine. I heard him! It was his voice! There's no way he could have been found dead before he called me. That's impossible!"

"Well, I'm sorry, Your Majesty. We understand you're very upset about this, and so are we, but I'm not lying to you. We got a call from the delivery man at 9:54 A.M. We tried to hurry as best as we could and made it here at about 10:20 A.M."

I just couldn't believe this. Something wasn't adding up. I was sure it had been Romain who had called me. It was his phone number, it had been his voice. I looked around, and then my eyes widened when I noticed a phone sitting on the couch. I quickly rushed over to it and picked it up, turning it on. Dang it! I growled silently to myself to see that the phone needed a password to unlock. I had been so sure that I saved Romain. . . had been so sure that he was okay. How is it possible that he had died before he gave me a call. Something wasn't adding up. I looked around the place again, my eyes going dark. I needed to find out what was going on.

I remembered telling Romain that I sent two people to look after him. I had sent those two people over at 10:00 A.M, before Romain had given me a call. When I looked around the room, I could see those two standing side by side with each other. When they had gotten over here, they must have seen Romain dead and sent three other officers to tell me. My eyes then widened when I remembered something else. I rushed over to the same officer I had talked to before. "Do you perhaps. . ." I asked, getting his attention once again. ". . .have a note? Did any of you find a note?"

"Ah yes, now that you said that," The officer opened up his pocket and took out a folded piece of paper. I took it without hesitation, and for some reason, I already knew what it was going to say. I unfolded it and scanned it with my eyes, trying to read the note first as fast as I could, but before I could even finish with the note, someone grabbed it out of my hand. I gasped a little and looked up, seeing another one of the police officers standing right in front of me. I was about to snap, ask them to give me the note back, but I stayed in my spot, calm, waiting to hear the reason as to why he would grab the note.