Adoption

I heard that a policeman will be visiting our centre! I can't wait to receive all those police lectures AND firemen lectures! That's... what I expect them to do.

But it's something else...

"Kids, please behave yourselves," the teacher said. Pfft please, I'm 13 now. Why am I still called as a kid? I'm an adult, for fridge's sake. As the whole rescue team I look up to walk in the centre, we immediately gave them such a warm welcome.

I thought they will be giving us a lecture but instead, it's something else. Chief Burns, the policeman of the rescue team, suddenly stood up and announced that he will be taking one of us home! That is so exciting!

So are the others...

Everyone crowded around the rescue team and screeched out their names, wanting to be taken by them. I tried going there but the bullies, Vex and David, pushed me off and ran over to them. I sighed. This happens every time. When an adult enters, I always get left out, resulting in me always never getting adopted. I don't have friends to back me up since I always occupy myself with reading and studying the procedures of how the rescue team handle situations. I wanted to be a firefighter since I was 5, and had been holding on to that dream ever since. I want to help Griffin Rock, I want to help the Burns family. They seem so outnumbered, but their robots helped them so much. I want to help them too.

"Miku?"

Huh?

I looked up. Chief Burns was... calling me! How is this possible? I didn't even shout my name! Turns out, the teacher had given my name to Chief Burns and his family. Does this mean...

"Come here, Miku."

I timidly stepped towards Chief Burns. This is the first time I got so close to a police officer! I have never really interacted with any adults outside of the centre ever since I came in here when I was 5.

"Miku, we felt that you have some potential in you. What do you say if we welcome you to our family?"

No. Way.

My eyes burst out tears. Is this a dream? I can't be in a dream, this must be real! I can't wait to go to their firehouse and begin my rescue missions! The chief's shirt was wet with tears as he hugged me close. I have never felt such an embrace in the centre. "Let's go home," he whispered at my ear.

Ugh, the paperwork session is taking forever! How long is this going to take? 10 years? I have been walking front and back for over a hundred times! Let me go to some rescue missions! Let me in the action!

"Miku, come here," Chief Burns's soft voice called out.

Finally! I ran towards him. As we stepped out of the centre, I felt my weight at my back fall off. This is my ideal paradise.

We went into the police car to go to my new home! There is a monitor displaying a robot face. Wait a minute, I AM IN A ROBOT?! This is so awesome!

"Miku, welcome to the Burns family," Chief Burns started as he revved up the engine and drove away from my prison.

"Dad, you literally said the same thing just now. She knows," Kade groans.

I knew that Kade is the kind of guy that complains and whines, behaving in an immature way.

Ignoring Kade, I looked closely at the monitor. The robot seemed to have made eye contact with me earlier and turned away. Strange.

When we arrived, I wasn't sure how to react. The garage was filled three robots in their vehicular mode, ready for any instructions. The first robot that caught my eye was the red firetruck. I have always dreamt of riding in one! I circled around the three bots in their vehicular mode, gazing at them in awe. There was a green one, which is equipped with a claw to carry construction material (I suppose). Another one was a helicopter, which was awkwardly placed inside the garage. Don't helicopters fly? They should be placed at the top of the firehouse, not in some garage. I ignored the weird placement and went to unpack.