Part 37

"It's great, amazing. Clean. No one could've messed it up."

"I know. But, it's all just laying around collecting dirt. And I don't even want to smell the refrigerator. And my bed sheets must be all dusty."

"Don't worry," I said, "I can help."

Walking into the kitchen, Sal quickly investigated the contents of the refrigerator, cringing at any slight smell. Though I could smell something, pungent and seeping out.

"I can smell something," I announced, routing through the drawers. Snack drawer, cutlery drawer, plate drawer until I came across a green pack of bread. Literally green. "You gotta see this."

The mouldy bread was over a month out of date, a more nose-destroying smell had arrived since I lifted it up. Holding it like a bag of dog poop, far away from me in one hand.

"Oh my god," he gagged, "that's so gross." He took it from my hand, holding it as far out from him as possible, and threw it straight in the trash.

His kitchen was slightly dated, with orange wood counters and a white fridge full of magnets. The counters had no mess around them, and every item had a special storage place. It could've been a shops display kitchen because of its cleanliness. It spanned across two walls, and infront was a glass table with 4 chairs.

"I get the guys coming over all the time," he said, still checking each cabinet, "we just sit here for hours talking. Which is why we started 2 podcasts, just to record our everyday chats."

"I remember your Jokers Wild episode- the Sally V sleepover."

"Ain't nothing like a Sally V sleepover, because a Sally V sleepover don't stop."

"Do you guys pillow fight?" I asked

Without missing a beat, he volleyed back, "of course."

"In slow motion?"

"In our pyjamas."

The thought was almost too hilarious.

Across the room, figures arrived at the front door, banging rapidly.

"I'll get it," Sal walked calmly towards the door, before yelling, "oh my god!" It must've been family, as he greeted them and they hugged him instantly. It was three girls- well, a woman and supposedly her two daughters. The woman looked similar to Sal- dark hair, bright eyes, but the two daughters had striking blonde hair. Ecstatically, he hugged each one, before ushering them inside.

"Guys, this is Olivia."

"Hi, I'm Sal's sister," she smiled towards me, the two girls heading straight for the living room. The 'grown ups' (if we could call ourselves that) waited as Sal made drinks for everyone, and I helped him carry them in.

The living room had two couches, with a big window on the opposite end. It had a very minimalistic feel, with only one piece of artwork- Sal's face painted as the girl with the pearl earring. Perfection I think.

"Daisy, Poppy, this is Olivia. These are my nieces." They smiled and said hello.

"So how do you guys know each other?" His sister asked us.

"Olivia was in... Florida- yeah? Yeah. And we let her come 'backstage' to where we were filming. We were flouncing around all over her, she had no idea."

"My boss did tell me that you were coming. I just hadn't watched the TV show." I corrected.

"Right, well anyway, she came and joined us as we filmed some more episodes, and then we invited her to join the crew."

"I'm still waiting for you to let me join," his niece, Daisy, joked. She was the older one, in her 20s, with blonde hair and blue eyes.

"I said you should carry on your studies, go to college. Then I'll see if there's an opening. What do you wanna do? Direct? Produce? Write?"

"I think I'd want to be creating the props."

"You can be the next creative producer, I'll get a good word in. She's great with making things, even painted over some sneakers to give to me. You remember that? She's got killer humour too, they'll be replacing me with you." Sal kept switching between talking to me and his niece.

"Humour runs in the family?" I asked.

Sal gave me a thoughtful stare, "I didn't inherit it. Daisy's gotta teach me a thing or two."

"You travel too much, I've barely seen you."

"I'm sorry. You came to the show though?"

"It was amazing. I only ever see you through my TV or on stage."

Poppy was sat on her phone, on the edge of being disinterested in the conversation.

"Poppy, how are you?" Sal stretched out on the couch we were sharing, "did you enjoy the show?"

She put her phone down, "yeah, it was good."

"I'm glad." We waited in silence as Sal's younger niece didn't reply.

I decided to make conversation, "have you seen Sal on stage before? Or been on the cruise?"

"We went on the cruise last year," Daisy said, "which was amazing. We got free pass to anything on board, see him perform at night, and could go into a special backstage area."

"And there was a pool," Poppy added.

"Wow. Sounded great."

"Maybe we can get you on board next time," Sal raised his eyebrows at me.

"How long are you staying, Olivia?" Sal's sister asked.

I paused. As if the next sentence I said would determine my future. "I'm not too sure yet. I miss my friends and family in Florida, but our situation at the moment is pretty cool. I'm planning to stay a while. If that's alright," I aimed that last bit towards Sal, a bit like 'speak now or forever hold your peace.'

"I'm happy with that," he said. Then cracked a smile, "oh wait, my girlfriends coming over next week though." I gave him a light hit on his arm.