Part 38

Sal's family cleared up and went home. Leaving us to wonder how to fill time.

"So... I'm allowed to stay?" I asked, sitting by the dining table. Sal sat opposite me.

"I guess so."

I dialed a number. My work.

"Hey Olivia, how are you?" My boss answered the phone. They thought I was sick this whole time. A month.

"I'm alright. Listen, and I gotta do this over the phone, I can't work there anymore." Sal broke into a smile too, realising I was dropping my responsibilities in Florida to stay here.

"What? How come?"

"I've..." I probably shouldn't come forward with the truth, "I'm heading back to college. Far away, so I'm leaving soon. I'm sorry."

He paused for a moment, "I can't say I'm surprised, Olivia, I haven't seen you in over a month. I'll sort the paper work out. Oh, by the way, I think that TV show that came, the episode where they visited us is airing soon. Take care."

Call ended.

I let out a squeal. It's official. Sal caught my excitement and I ran towards him we literally jumped for joy.

Sal turned on some music and we just danced for what felt like forever.

He broke out the moon walk, "do it like this," as he moonwalked backwards, his socks sliding against the wooden floor. He said he'd never be seen with sneakers on in the house unless it was an emergency- I can only imagine that includes getting emergency snacks or that he was dying and ran inside. No, I think he'd take his shoes off in that scenario. I quickly came into the habit of kicking my shoes off before I walked through the front door.

My whole life felt complete- apart from the nagging sense of guilt that arrived whenever I thought back to my best friend. She left already. She was like a sister to me when I was a lonely child, and now I've deserted her after years of being dependent on her.

Did she really forgive me? Was she just being nice? Does she think I'm a bitch too? Oh god, she hates me. I left her. I left her. I left her.

"What's up?" Sal turned the music off. My face must've taken a quick turn.

"What? Nothing," I shook my head, shaking the guilt out like water.

He made a 'hmmf' noise, before taking the pillows out of the couch and the blanket, "we're gonna make a fort."

I grabbed two chairs and draped the blanket over them creating a ceiling, Sal decorated the inside with a soft fluffy blanket and the pillows, as well as putting some string lights on the 'ceiling'. It was tall enough to sit up in, wide enough to lay in. Placed in the corner of the room, with the TV a comfortable viewing distance.

Sal disappeared, rustling in the kitchen whilst made the fort as cosy as possible, turning on the golden fairy lights and finding an extra blanket to lay under. He appeared minutes later with a bowl of Popcorn, some wine and chocolate. "We're watching a movie."

"You have one in mind?"

"We've got Fast and Furious 5, Annabelle, some Marvel stuff or Back to the Future."

"Not horror. No way. Why would you recommend that? You hate horror!"

"Well I knew you wouldn't pick it. You hate horror more than me."

"I'm not as bad as you," I laughed.

"Back to the Future it is. 1, 2 or 3?"

"First one," I snuggled under the blanket as Sal put the wine down. "Can't start halfway through. 3 is overrated."

"Too right," he agreed, putting the DVD in. He crawled into the fort, adjusting the pillows before opening the bottle. "You want?" I nodded. As the opening credits rolled in- Marty in his garage- Sal poured us both a glass of wine, we clinked them together before laying silently to watch- in my opinion- one of the greatest films.

"About 10 years ago," Sal interrupted after around 30 minutes, "we got hold of a Delorean for one of our sketches."

"Oh my god," I said, "the real thing? 88mph and everything?"

"Nah," he sighed, "well, in the sketch we made it to 88, but got pulled over- in the sketch. We all dressed up."

"We gotta find one to rent- go on a road trip

"We gotta find one to rent- go on a road trip."

His eyes lit up, "we'd have to invite Q though, there's no way he'd talk to me again if we didn't invite him."

"He's allowed," I smiled, "we can't upset him."

"He's such a nerd," Sal laughed, completely disengaged from the film, "a film nerd. One time he bought a huge gremlins statue for his house, pretty sure it was a few thousand dollars. Had a load of memorabilia in his house- his whole basement is full."

"Better than wasting all his money on sneakers," I joked back.

Sal looked hurt, "hey! They're good sneakers!"

I thought back to the pink and green ones he displayed to me, I had to squint to look at them.

"I need some self-closing sneakers like Marty," he sighed, "that'd be cool."

"Q might get hold of some soon."

Sal's eyes widen, "I'm gonna text him."

Hey bud, just watching BTTF. Any chance you're gonna get some self lacing sneakers like Marty?

"He probably has some already."

He sat up straighter, forcing me to adjust so I'm no longer leaning on him, as he went through his phone.

"Oh, he's replied: 'been checking ebay everyday for 20 years. No luck yet.'"

"We'll find some," I said.

I'll beat you to it Sal replied.