Settling In

Ch.1

Well, that should be the last of it. You dropped the heavy box onto the small wagon Sohyun owned. It was actually a lot more convenient than you thought it would have been. Adjusting it carefully, you let out a tired sigh now that all the boxes were secured on the wagon. Sohyun had a lot of things she owned meanwhile you...your eyes glanced over to the single box on the ground. A majority of it was just plain clothes while all your other belongings fit in your backpack. Maybe you were a minimalist, maybe you were just boring. You wouldn't be surprised if it were the second. That's what you think it was to be begin with. It's always been this way though. Shrugging to yourself, you looked back over to Sohyun.

She was saying goodbye to your parents. Mom was waving in the driver's seat while Dad had said goodbye back at the house. They were pretty old for parents if you were being honest. Sohyun was their only biological daughter. You were adopted by the time you were five, but you really don't remember much before you started living with them. Whatever life you used to live before you were adopted was filled with holes and didn't make sense. Though most people forget their memories from when they were younger. You didn't think much of it seeing as you had a nice family. Sohyun is a kind sister who is your age and so she easily became your best friend. The entire family was a match.

Mom had Sohyun when she was forty-five which felt like a miracle to your parents. They struggled to have their own children for so long and then they finally got luck. Albeit late, still a blessing. Mom and Dad were in their sixties now while Sohyun and you were only eighteen. The age difference was pretty huge, but your parents feel like never ending balls of energy and life. They insisted on helping you guys pack and get you both ready to move into your dorms. Sohyun and you gladly took the help with the packing. As for the unpacking, you two would take your first step of independence with that. From this day forward, Sohyun and you would be university students.

Exciting and terrifying. For Sohyun at least. You didn't really feel too many things about the situation. Maybe it hadn't quite set in, so when would it? Mom said her goodbyes one last time before Sohyun closed the car door. The two of you stayed on the sidewalk to watch her familiar white van disappear into a small dot on the road. Visits from Mom and Dad will be rare seeing as the university is pretty far from home. Back home, there really wasn't much going on. The population is small and your graduating class was about two hundred at most. Not too bad, but certainly not amazing either. A lot of them either went straight to work with family owned businesses or got accepted here to the closest university which was five hours away.

This university also wasn't special. It was in the middle of nowhere too. Mainly surrounded by fields owned by farmers and a small market area. After all, the main major to enter in this university is agriculture. That's not what Sohyun and you entered though. Sohyun always seemed to have a green thumb and loved plants. Her major is horticulture which fits her perfectly. Then you really didn't have anything that interested you. It was bugging you, but you did what you always did. You followed Sohyun. You acted as if horticulture caught your attention as well. In reality, you didn't care much. Sohyun was full of hobbies and interests while you didn't do anything. You felt bad for tagging along, but Sohyun seemed ecstatic when she heard you wanted to go into the same major as her. Then Mom and Dad were also glad you two wouldn't be separated so here you were.

"Oh my Gosh, we're actually alone." Sohyun turned to face you, looking like a bundle of nerves. She ran over to the wagon and could barely stand still. "W-We're living on our own!"

"We are." You nodded.

"And we only saw the dorms once during the tour!" Sohyun fidgeted with the handle of her wagon. You continued to nod calmly as she panicked. "This place looks a lot bigger than I remember and I brought so many things and then look at you and what if—"