Ch-19 Winners are grinners

Forward a few days

Dan POV

"Okay, suckers, show time. Let's open a can of whoop-ass." I tell, psyching up the team. Everyone cheered.

"Let's go, Abbey Mount! Come on, guys." A guy on the sideline yells. It's show time.

3rd person POV

"Mrs Lester? Gerry asked walking over to the headmistress.

"Oh, Mr Howell, you made it.

"Yes, I did."

"Please, come and take a seat."

"Did I miss much?"

"No, not at all."

"Where's Dan?" Gerry asked, scanning the field, trying to find his black haired, tanned son.

"He's right there. He's the spitting image of you and Rachael, isn't he?" Mrs Lester says noting the transformation in Dan. He lost a lot of his tan, his hair went lighter and he just seemed to be happy.

"He most certainly is." Gerry sighed, noting how his son changed. When Dan smiled at his team mates he saw the smile that he longed to see, Dan never smiled. Gerry thought that he'd never see that smile again, especially after the death of Rachael, the two had the same smile and dimple.
"Come on, Abbey Mount! Take it out there. Come on." He yelled, cheering on the team that he was once a part of.

"Come on, Abbey Mount. Let's go!" The crowd chanted.

Dan POV

"All right, guys. There's only one thing for it." I say as we all huddle around in a circle explaining the game plane.

Let's go. Who are we?" I chant.

"Abbey Mount!" Everyone replies

"Who are we?" I hadn't played soccer for a long time until I got here, and this was one thing I learnt.

"Abbey Mount!" Everyone yelled back.

"What are we?!" I yell

"A leading single-sex school admitting boarders at age 11." Ian states.

"Wrong! We're winners!" I yell charging onto the playing field.

"Come on!" Joe yelled to Ian.

"Pass it, Dan! Come along, guy. Well done. Abbey Mount." I heard Mrs Lester cheer.

"Pass to Dan, quick. Come on, Dan." Chris yelled to Jim who passed the ball to me.

"This is our last chance. Let's make it count!" I yelled kicking the ball off to Caspar who passes it to Ian who passes it to Chris.

"Ian! Chris! Why would you pass it to me? Oh, my God. Okay. Somebody, help me. Where is everyone? Who do I pass it to? Finn! Finn! Where are you?" Anthony freaks out, dribbling the ball around like crazy. Wham. Anthony fell over. Though somehow managed to kick the ball. Holy shit we could win this. The ball was sent flying, time seemed to be going in extreme slow motion.

Toot! AND GOAL!!! I screamed running over to Anthony who was still lying on the ground in complete shock.

"Oh my god that was amazing man!" I said helping him up.

"Yes!" the crowd cheered.

"They did it, they did it! Yes! I told you, you could do it. I told you." I know that voice. I turn around to see my dad running towards me, with Mrs Lester trailing behind.

"Dan."

"Dad? My dad! My dad!" I exclaim, more excitement filling my veins. "What are you doing here?" I say giving my dad a giant, well-deserves hug. It's been half a decade since I gave him one of those.

"Mrs Lester called. She told me you found out about me and mom."

"Why didn't you just tell me, Dad?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, Dan. I thought it might make you too sad. I did know that you needed to breathe a different kind of air, though. Did I do the right thing?" He asked and I nodded my head.

"You did. I didn't know you were captain of the soccer team? And that you took mum to the social."

"Yes. I was the captain and I did take your mum to the dances with me. And I also know that she is incredibly proud of you right now. As am I." I smile and hug dad again.