Fix it with a Song

"Come over here" I start following him as he heads out towards the military showcase.

He crouches down, reaches out under a cabinet and starts pulling out a case.

"Ethan what is this place?"l say

"It was supposed to be a museum. My grandad wanted to open it a couple years back but...."he trails off and he freezes for a moment. His hand is stuck on the zipper.

Did he die or something?I gently put my palm on his shoulder and l gently squeeze.

"But..."l say as an indication to let him finish.

After hearing my voice its like he gets out of whatever trans he is in. He gets up and hauls the case on top of the counter .

"Let's just say the owner of the island wasn't so keen on it" he says as he unlocks the case and starts pulling out something.

I just nod my head. Clearly its a sensitive topic so l respectably back off.

"What is that?" I ask referring to the contraption in his hands.

"In simple terms. Its a radio"he says.

"Simple?"

"Yeah its easier to explain that way . Its like the radio in submarines and airplanes used to contact a station."he explains

"Ohh you mean like those things they use saying mayday"l say excitedly

"Yes. Exactly like that"he says with a smile. I guess his happy that l get it.

" Then that means we can contact someone and actually let them know we're alive"at his nod l continue excitedly. "That means we're going home"l smile. A big smile.

His smile falls a bit.

"That's if it still works. So don't get your panties in a twist now"he chuckles and l just roll my eyes.

"Well what are you waiting for start it up and let's see."l say. Barely containing my excitement.

He started punching a few buttons and the room suddenly got filled with static. My excitement grew even more as l lean in. Ethan took off what l assumed to be a receiver or speaker on the side of the radio.

"Mayday mayday. Do you read"he says and there's nothing. He turns a few nobs and repeats what he said..

Out of nowhere sparks fly out of the radio and smoke starts coming out. I scream and Ethan swears under his breath as he reaches for a white sheet on the counter and starts fanning at it and throws it over it. He turns towards me and holds my shoulder. His eyes frantically look all over me looking for any signs of injuries.

"Are you okay?are you hurt anywhere?"he says worridely.

I close my eyes as l will the tears away. Ethan shakes me .

"Flicker"even more worried.

I nod and open my eyes"Yeah l'm fine Ethan" l look at the radio "l'm just so disappointed"

I look down as l try to catch the incoming sob. Ethan holds me close

"Ohh Flicker. Don't worry."he says soothingly .

"How can l not.That was our ticket home."l say

"They will still come for a checkup. They will find us there."he says hopefully.

"Yeah...4days from now when we're already dead from starvation?...yey to us at least our dead bodies will be uncovered and our families will have some form of closure "  I say in anger as l disentangle myself from him and step away.