Universe 8: Painting Workshop

ZEN

Our class will start at 10 a.m. pero alas nuwebe pa lang ay naghihintay na sa 'kin si Rozend. Nakikipag-usap na siya kay Josh sa sala habang tinuturuan niya ang kapatid ko sa pagtugtog ng gitara. Maybe he's just excited to attend the summer camp.

I'm still preparing my things. I wear a white shirt, a jumper suit and white sandals. Inilagay ko sa loob ng backpack ko ang mga gamit ko sa pagpipinta habang bitbit ko naman ang malaking drawing pad sa kanang kamay.

Pumunta ako sa kusina upang magpaalam kay Mama. "Ma, papasok na kami ni Rozend," sabi ko. I kissed her cheeks and she let out a small satisfied smile. She's liking the changes in me now.

"Sige. Mag-iingat kayo ni Rozend. Make some new friends, alright?" nakangiting paalala niya.

I'm not really sure about that. I'm only sure about one thing. It's alright now because I have a new friend and that's Rozend. I don't think I can handle another friend for now. Tumango ako kahit alam kong hindi talaga ako sigurado kung magkakaroon pa ako ng mga bagong kaibigan.

Niyaya ko na si Rozend. I drive the small Ford pickup because we can't afford to walk and be late. Rozend secures his seatbelt. He's wearing his usual dark colored clothes and baggy pants. After parking the Ford pickup in the University's huge parking lot, we head to the assigned building for Art workshops.

We're walking in the hallway while checking the paintings hanging on the walls of the school. There are also huge murals painted on the wall. Some are colorful while some paintings are trying to make silent but powerful statements.

There are different classrooms assigned for different arts like sculpture, painting, music, dancing, writing and the likes.

I noticed the students. Some are fooling around with friends. Some are alone. Some are together with their old friends and they look contented with their lives and circle of friends while discussing arts with passion in their eyes. Discussing in progress works that soon will become masterpieces. Discussing ideas and techniques about innovated arts and all.

I noticed that the wide field outside is occupied by young artists, sculptors and painters. All I see are people who are passionate about what they're doing, passionate about arts. Some are painting on the wide field while some are molding figures with dirty muddy hands. Some are sketching and singing and dancing in the open fields.

Some of them are kind of mysterious. Some are unsmiling but you know they're just serious about their works. And I suddenly thought that the students here have art living inside of them. Art is running through their veins and they are just so contagious and inspiring.

I turned to Rozend and I saw how happy and mesmerized he is in this kind of intoxicated atmosphere. He is contented to watch each one of them while performing their own art. He's fascinated by the timeless passion he's seeing. As if this is the first time in his life to see people like him who are too in love with art, people with passion that can burn normal people down or maybe infect them.

And it seems Rozend is not aware that he's one of these passionate people who are one with art. While I'm still in doubt if I really belong here.

Tumigil kami sa harap ng Painting classroom.

"I don't think I belong here," I blurted out my thoughts without even thinking. My face suddenly turns red.

When he turned to me, he smiles at me and pats my head lightly as if telling me I'm going to be alright. Maybe he noticed the doubt and worry in my eyes.

"You belong here, Zen," he said with a soft smile. "I am the one who isn't."

And I'm not sure if he's just saying this to ease my worries but I rolled my eyes.