Universe 22: Unknown Response

ZEN

Tuesday. I sighed heavily when I see the empty seat next to me. I'm alone in class once again. Yesterday, while we are going home, Rozend had a high fever and he was coughing so bad. Good thing we were already in my pickup and our houses were just blocks away. So her mother took him to the hospital.

I send him a message.

Kamusta pakiramdam mo? Okay ka na?

Tomorrow we will have to explain the by-pairs project in class and I will be really sad if he can't come.

"Wala si Rozend?" takang tanong ni Chantalle nang lumingon siya sa likod niya.

"Wala. May sakit," mahinang sagot ko. "Nilalagnat."

"Maybe we should pay him a visit and bring some fruits. Nasaan siya? Sa bahay?" muli niyang tanong.

Umiling ako. "Hospital. I'm not really sure where."

"Aw. So we can't visit him," mahinang saad niya.

"Siguro naman magiging okay rin siya?" hindi siguradong saad ko.

Tumango si Chantalle at ibinaling na ang tingin kay Mr. Martinez na nagtuturo ngayon tungkol sa pagpipinta ng landscapes. He's using our paintings as examples and he's giving tips on how to improve each one.

Nakatanggap ako ng mensahe mula kay Rozend.

I'm better now. I'll be out by the end of day. Did I worry you?

I'm actually worried because he was trembling due to his high fever and he was coughing nonstop. Pakiramdam ko, halos palipadin ko na ang pickup para lang makauwi kami agad.

Yes. But it's alright. So what's up? Is it just fever?

Fatigue.

Fatigue? Maybe he's stressed these past days. I just didn't notice. And sometimes, I hate myself for not noticing. He's burning too bright that I haven't notice his own struggles.

I see. Btw, Mr. Martinez said there's no classes next week. We can finish the individual project and submit it next Friday. You'll be able to rest. You can come tomorrow, right? It's the by-pairs project submission.

Yes. I'll be there. I can't miss that. See you, Zen.

See you, Rozend.

When the class is over, I drive to the cemetery and write to the bonsai tree. Bumuntong-hininga ako nang mapansin ang parte ng bonsai ni Rozend. I wonder what he is writing about. I want to know his thoughts. I want to know his secrets. But I guess I have to wait. I'll wait.

Nang tingnan ko ang gitnang bahagi, napansin ko ang mga pulang papel na nakatali roon. These strips of paper are not from me. I quickly untie it from the branch and read the note.

We will always look at the same sky. Wherever I am.

I miss you too. And I'm sorry for making you wait. Please be patient with me.

Be proud that you survive the day on your own. You're strong. I admire that about you.

Matipid na napangiti ako sa sagot ni Rozend. Pero napatakip ako sa mukha ko dahil nabasa niya ang mga sinulat ko noon. Nakakahiya!

***