Universe 20: Sunday

ZEN

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

- 2 Corinthians 12:9

Sunday. We walked to the church together with Rozend's family. And now, we are sitting and listening to the Pastor's preaching. I'm sitting next to Rozend on my left and my family sits on my right. And I'm really happy to spend this Sunday together with him.

The Pastor reads today's Bible verse and he starts to explain the Word to us. "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. So what do these words mean? God is trying to tell us that life is not perfect. That we will become weak at times. That we will experience some downfalls and defeats in life. But we don't have to be afraid, because his grace will always be there and is accessible for everyone. His grace will always be sufficient. His grace will always help us to make it through all these tests, all these hardships, all this pains. He will provide for us. He will strengthen us. And in weakness, that's also when we can feel His presence stronger than before. That He is real. That He is there for us all the time and He will never leave us through tough times."

"So when you're in pain, when you are suffering, always know that God is listening to your prayers. I know some of us here are questioning His plans. Especially when things don't go our way. When things suddenly go out of hand. When He takes something away from us and we don't understand. We have to believe that God always has a reason. That He knows what's best for us. And He will never forsake us. Maybe we're under a test we can never understand but remain faithful for we already have a better reward in heaven. God can create miracles for us. We just have to believe."

And these words tugs in my heart. And I know although I believe in Him, there are times I'm running away from him, escaping from His loving embrace, because there are things I don't really understand. Especially when He took Elaine away. And running away from Him is a natural response from a human like me who is hurting, who is in pain.

But I'm glad He gives humans this kind of freedom to think and feel – to be hurt and be alive. And that's when I realize how much He loves us so much that He's willing to hurt himself for us. He's willing to let us go even when He's dying to set us free and let us fly – away from His comfort and love.

And I'm really repentant for taking Him for granted most of the time. But He's a patient God and I know He will always provide. He will always wait patiently for my return like a father loving His prodigal son and daughter. I am not perfect but He accepts all my imperfections.

When I hear suppressed and faint sobs from Rozend's mother, I can't help but turn my head to her who is now leaning to her husband's shoulder. I wonder what caused her to cry while she's being comforted by her husband who is keeping a strong front for her. Hinaplos naman ni Shanty ang likod ng kanyang ina pero sa tingin ko pinipigilan din niya ang kanyang mga luha.

When I turn to Rozend with a confused look, he softly gazes at me with a smile. He whispers words I don't really get. Alam kong napansin din niya ang tingin ko sa mga magulang niya kanina. 

"It's alright, Zen. It will be alright. Because God foresees everything and has plans."

***