Universe 13: The Sun in Him

ZEN

I woke up from the sound of my cellphone's alarm. I slowly open my eyes and my right hand automatically reach out for my cellphone. Wala sa sariling pinatay ko ito pero halos mapabalikwas ako nang maalala ko kung nasaan ako. I just remembered that I am in the beach with Rozend and we're here to watch the sunset.

Natigilan ako nang may marinig akong mahinang tawa sa tabi ko. Nakataas ang kilay na bumaling ang tingin ko kay Rozend. He's still covered by the blanket but he's now facing me. His head leaning against the car's leather seat. And he looks like a child while staring at me. He's a little homey in that blanket.

"Bakit hindi mo ako ginising? Gising ka na pala," nakasimangot na saad ko. Pero naalala ko na kailangan ko palang itext si Mama na nakarating na kami sa beach kaya muling bumaling ang atensiyon ko sa cellphone at nagtype ng mensahe para kay Mama.

"Mas pagod ka kaysa sa 'kin. You're the driver," he reminds me.

I press the send button and frown at him. Pero hindi na ako nakipagtalo. Kinuha ko ang sandwich na ginawa ni Mama at ibinigay sa kanya.

"After eating, let's go. We can walk by the seashore and enjoy the view while waiting for the sunset. Hindi na masyadong mainit." Itiniklop ko ang blanket na gamit ko at ang blanket niya. We eat the sandwich and stare at the blue sea in front of the car park. He silently eats his fill and it seems he's no longer tired. I hope so.

When we're done eating, we grab our important things and head to the beach.

Nakasabit sa leeg ko ang dala kong camera. Ibinigay ko ang cellphone ko kay Rozend para ibulsa niya dahil wala akong bulsa. He only brings his cellphone while wearing his beach short, white comfy shirt and Havaianas flip flops.

I breathe in the salty sea air and I smile. The soft crashing waves against the seashore are like music to my ears and the blueness of the sea is so calming that I feel like I don't have anything to worry about while I'm staring at it. I'm wearing an orange sandals with string designs and the fine white sand are getting in my feet sometimes.

I take a photo of the splendid view of the sea touching the blue clear sky. I take a photo of the clear sea water and the sea's soft waves when we reached the shoreline. Maging ang mga seashells na nakikita ko ay kinukuhanan ko rin ng picture. I notice that Rozend takes a photo through his phone from time to time but most of the time he's just staring at the vastness of the sea in silent awe. And I know he appreciates the beauty that surrounds him.

I took a photo of him without thinking while he's still mesmerized of the sea's tranquil beauty. Napansin niya ang ginawa ko kaya lumingon siya sa 'kin. "That's not fair!" reklamo niya. I stuck my tongue out and run away from him but he chases after me. Malakas kaming tumatawa nang mahuli niya ako. He gently holds my wrist and take the camera from me.

"I'll take a photo of you," he offered with a bright smile. Itinapat niya sa 'kin ang camera at wala na akong nagawa kundi ang ngumiti sa camera. I awkwardly hold my right arm with my left hand. I'm a little conscious and I don't know how to pose in that camera especially when he's the photographer. I'm really glad I'm not posing for a painting.

"Just be natural, Zen," he said. I frowned and rolled my eyes. Well, this is my natural.

He chuckles when he sees my reaction and I wonder if he captures that moment using my camera. Well, no problem. I can just delete it anyway. Inirapan ko siya at tinalikudan upang maglakad sa dalampasigan.

Basa na ang sandals ko dahil sa alon na banayad na humahampas sa mga paa ko. But I like the cool salty water touching my feet. The sea breeze touches the back of my neck and I'm just glad that I tied my hair in a bun and my hair isn't blown by the wind.