Universe 23: Inside Out

ZEN

Wednesday. Today we are going to present our painting in class and after our explanation, we will give our painting to our partner. And I'm glad that Rozend is sitting next to me right now but I'm nervous at the same time. Just thinking about what I have to say, my face is already getting hotter, slowly turning red. But I'm silently praying that he will like my painting.

Chantalle and Chelsey are in front of the class. The first one to present is Chantalle. When she uncovered her painting, we all stare at it in awe.

She painted a girl where books and knowledge are coming out of her mind, falling on the floor because her knowledge is overflowing. Chelsey is wearing her eyeglasses while reading a book on her hand with a timid smile written on her innocent face while sitting cross-legged on the floor.

Chelsey is also surprised by the painting but I can see how she admires Chantalle's work. "It's so beautiful. I'm not sure but probably you see me as a nerdy girl who's so in love with books and knowledge," she jokes.

Napangiti si Chantalle. She always has a badass look – a rebel look but it's nice that she's not withholding her smile from her friends.

"I paint this because yes, you're a nerdy girl," pang-aasar niya. "And I witness how you love books. But more importantly, you're not someone who always speaks her mind but I know you have a lot to say. You have a lot of beautiful thoughts inside you. You're always the logical one between the two of us," she says with honesty. She gives her painting to Chelsey who accepts it gladly.

Matipid na ngumiti si Chelsey na tila nahihiya. And all of our hearts melted for these two. It's so nice to have a friend who understands you. Who will never leave you despite your flaws and imperfections. And I suddenly miss Elaine but I have Rozend now.

Chelsey unwraps her painting and another amazing painting comes into view. She painted a chaotic abstract in the background that is slowly turning into a girl, showing Chantalle's gorgeous face with her unicorn-colored hair, thick eyeliners and dark lips while blowing her bubblegum into a small balloon. Chaos and beauty are perfectly shown in the painting.

Chantalle chuckles softly when she sees the painting. "You probably paint this because you think I'm unpredictable," she blurts out but I can clearly see in her bright eyes that she likes this painting so much.

Mahinang tumawa si Chelsey. "You're unpredictable, yes. You're a rebel. Sometimes a troublemaker but people just can't see the real you. There's beauty in your chaos and that makes me think that painting you this way will give your beauty justice. You're an abstract who doesn't need to be understood but meant to be appreciated. What you are is beautiful," Chelsey said with sincerity and Chantalle can only form a shy smile that she normally doesn't show.

When I look around, I see light in everyone's eyes. As if they are inspired by these two. The whole class presentation becomes lively. Minsan may asaran at tawanan dahil sa mga cheesy na paliwanag ng ilan.

Today, we are all wearing our souls inside out – letting everyone see what's inside us.

"Huwag mong pagtatawanan ang painting ko," babala ko kay Rozend.

"I will never do that," nakangiting sagot ni Rozend. "Your painting is the best for me."

I roll my eyes. "Hindi mo pa nga nakikita."

"I just know," natatawang saad niya.

When it is our turn, I feel like I'm going to vomit from nervousness. But Rozend let out a comforting smile as if he's telling me that it's alright. That he won't judge me or my work or anything.

Malalim na humugot ako ng hininga bago naglakad sa unahan, dala ang painting ko. I'm the first one to show the painting. My hands turn a little sweaty. I turn shyly at Rozend and he let out an encouraging smile. I can do this.

Wearing my soul inside out is the hardest. But I'm willing to reveal what's inside of me. Because it's him.

***