01 | promise

Promise

After crouching to the ground in front of her father's grave, Sooyeong leaned forward with her one knee pressed to the ground

After crouching to the ground in front of her father's grave, Sooyeong leaned forward with her one knee pressed to the ground. Her hand trembled as she lit a few incense sticks then poked them into a vase which stood near the headstone.

It had only been a short few days since her father's demise but as each day passed she took his loss harder than the day she had actually lost him. The pain kept excruciatingly building up within her and it felt like something had been sucking the soul right out of her which made her feel as if absolutely nothing could be done to aid her pain.

All of the happy moments she had shared with her father were now just a memory - a memory which she would have to now hold onto so dearly and closely to her heart because like her father who she had so tragically lost due to a respiratory disease, she had no mother either.

In hindsight, her world was distorted and shattered. But one of the only thing she had left of her parents in physical memory was the warm home which she grown up in for the passed seventeen years.

Even though that one happy element still existed it was not enough to outweigh the misfortunes that followed her like an impending death which made her believe that the universe never actually cared about her. And probably never would.

First it was her mother's sudden and very horrific death caused by a car crash almost two years prior. Then, her father re-married sometime after that which obviously made Sooyeong furious and dejected because nobody could ever replace the role of her mother.

Never. Ever. No matter who it may be.

Another reason was mainly due to how wicked her father's second bride was. She was worse than Satan himself or perhaps more accurately, Satan seemed more of an angel whenever compared to her.

That women, Hyungsik Suhjin - also known as the Dragon Lady for the following reason, always looked as if she would let loose perpetual breaths of flamethrowers whenever Sooyeong was around.

Suhjin detested the orphaned child with an awfully and outwardly burning passion but the apparent reason for doing so was ever so simple; because Sooyeong was not her blood-related daughter as Ahro was.

Ahro proved to be Sooyeong's very snarky stepsister on many accounts. She was pure reflection of her devilish mother in the eyes of Sooyeong and although there was only a year age difference between them, Ahro always seemed to act much older than actually perceived to be.

Sooyeong's eyes had become watery and a soft sniffle from her reddened nose sliced the silence around her.

"Why did you have to leave me dad? I miss both you and mom so much. I can barely take it anymore." Her voice trembled before she bit her bottom lip to ease the pain she felt.