Part 31

Sarawat halted in the hall, the phone still raised in his hand after talking to Boss about looking into surveillance around Tine's office building. His manager had also suggested forwarding the picture to a private investigator, thinking that maybe they could run it through a database of offenders at least. Sarawat rubbed at his tanned nape, long neck stretched to one side, contemplating if he should show the picture to Tine or hold it off until his traumatic shock wore off. He did not want to cause Tine any further distress if it could possibly trigger something but at the same time, he wanted to find out what had actually happened. Tine did not slip down the stairs in broad daylight just by mistake. He was not that careless.

Sarawat sighed, raking a strong hand through his hair and tugged at his fringe in frustration. Why did everything have to be so damn dramatic?

A flicker of light caught his eye and Sarawat looked up, chin jutting out slightly. He was standing in full view of the open hospital room, where the sunlight was streaming in from a big window and bathing Tine in streaks of golden light, dust particles shimmering in the air around him. His boyfriend was sitting on the bed surrounded by white pillows and blankets, almost as if among the clouds. He seemed more energetic, a healthy flush staining his fair skin. A nurse dressed in light colored robes was attending to Tine, checking his vitals and redressing his bandages while they chatted happily. Huh. The woman seemed vaguely familiar.

Shit. Was that Noomnim?

Cold shock ran down Sarawat's spine, paralyzing him. Suddenly he was in his early twenties again, watching the pair of them embrace and crush all his hopes of ever getting Tine's affection. Insane jealousy coursed through Sarawat's veins as he stared at them darkly, baring his teeth in a crooked sneer. Tine smiled and then burst into a laugh at something Noomnim said. Her delicate hand lingered on his boyfriend's shoulder and Tine blushed, glancing up at her as he nodded. Then Noomnim's hand slid down his arm and she squeezed Tine's fingers, sending him an unreadable gaze. Sarawat's heart stuttered in his chest, breaths getting shorter by the second.

This could have been Tine's future, a pretty girlfriend taking care of him, catering to his whimsical needs.

Seeing them interact so familiarly made Sarawat suddenly feel like an outsider and a pang of regret gutted him, twisting his insides agonizingly. After all, he had barged into Tine's life and wrecked all the normality out of it. Tine was bruised and bandaged up all probably because he was dating Sarawat. Even before this happening Tine had been anxious, on the verge of a panic attack. Being with Sarawat evidently made Tine stressed out and miserable. None of this would have happened if they had just stayed away from each other. Sarawat should have kept shielding Tine away from this world, from his side of the reality. Surely a pretty girl like Noomnim would never let Tine be unhappy or misunderstood.

The musician averted his gaze. He could not watch them any longer. An angry tremor ran through his hands as he turned around and stalked jerkily down the hall. Why was everything repeating itself? Was he a fool, clinging to the dregs of hope of Tine ever loving only him?

He felt confused. Sarawat needed some time to think.

***

A click resounded on the other end of the phone and then a sultry, female voice replied.

"Hello, who's calling?"

"Is this Yihwa?" Sarawat asked back unceremoniously. He was sitting on a bench in the hospital courtyard, hiding from the blazing sun under the overhanging trees but also running away from the crippling image of Tine and Noomnim together.

"Ow, is this Sarawat?" The female concluded gleefully, almost excitedly. This was the first time the musician sounded somewhat interested in their interaction, in contrast to the indifferent attitude he usually opted for when talking to the press. "How nice of you to call. I guess that you want my help now?"