Chapter 3: Merry B--chmas

TW: A bit more swearing than normal

*Roman POV*

Patton is on his winter break right now. I agreed to the show, ecstatic at how well things are going. We're currently out Christmas shopping for Virgil, Logan, our parents, and each other. I also plan to get Remus something just to let him know I haven't forgotten him. I also haven't forgotten the bruise he gave me last April Fools.

Patton and I split up and agree to meet each other back at the food court, which is just clearing out. We haven't had lunch yet but agreed to wait until there isn't a mile-long wait.

I don't really know what to get Patton for Christmas. We're on a tight budget, both of us pretty poor, considering we're paying rent and bills now, so my options are limited.

I end up getting him a cat hat and a recipe book. I get Virgil an assortment of pins from the dark corner that is Hot Topic, and Logan a few science books. I also got Remus two bars of deodorant.

"Where should we eat?" Patton asks.

I shrug.

"Whatever's the cheapest," I say.

We end up getting Chick-Fil-A, which I'm fine with. I like their lemonade.

---

On Christmas morning, I wake up bright and early to put my gifts for Patton under the tree. Our tree is a small plastic one, hardly bigger than my head. Patton found it on clearance for three dollars, so of course, we got it. It's also bright blue.

I go back to bed and wake up a few hours later, as Patton is making eggs in the kitchen. We both volunteered to work a bit today, for the extra bit of pay, so we'll be celebrating Christmas tonight when we drive up to see our families. Since Virgil and Logan are in different parts of the country, we won't be seeing them in person. It's a little disappointing, but understandable. Logan never wants to come back here for fear he might run into his parents.

A few minutes after Patton leaves for work, I call Remus.

"Hello, my brother," I say.

"What do you want? To wish me a merry Christmas? 'Cause I'm kinda busy and don't really care," He says.

"Well, ho ho ho, merry Bitchmas, Remus," I say, "Are you gonna go outside and have a snow-bitch fight? Build a snow-bitch?"

"No, I'll build a snow d-" He starts to say.

"Maybe make out with your boyfriend under the bitch-letoe?" I cut him off.

I'm about to laugh right now. I swore to Virgil I'd give Remus a ridiculous phone call to see if I could make him flustered, and this is my chance.

"Wh- No. No. I'm done. You beat me this year. So I hope your dreams are filled with sugarplum bitches and not visions of your-"

I hang up, not letting him finish. I have won our cuss off of the year, something we haven't done in a while. There's a reason I waited for Patton to leave to make this call and that was it.

*Logan POV*

Today is Christmas. I sent my friends a few gifts in the mail. I considered sending my parents something awful but decided against it. That's how little they mean to me now. But I did get Christie something. She drove down here yesterday, as Emile is away visiting his family, and she's my only family. Her college is in Oregon, so it wasn't an incredibly long drive, but still quite long.

"Good morning, Christie," I say when I wake up.

She's already awake and at my desk, probably doing some of her schoolwork. Neither of us likes to ignore it, even during the holidays.

"'Morning," She says, "While you were sleeping in I got some coffee,"

She points to the cup with the local coffee shop logo on it. I thank her and get dressed as she goes to the bathroom. I take a sip of the coffee. It's not bad, but not good either. But it suffices in waking me up.

We decide to stay here for the day because even though the weather here is nice normally, it's pouring outside right now.

"So how've you been?" Christie asks.

"Fine. You?"

"Eh. Cameron's been a little stressed, so they've been a little distant," She says.

Cameron and Christie are dating. They have been for several years now.

"Oh. That is unfortunate," I say.

"How're you and Virgil?" She asks.

"We are quite well. I plan to talk to him later tonight. He's in New York right now, studying graphic design," I say.

"Cool,"

We talk pretty much all day. catching up and getting into small debates about random things. We get along pretty well for siblings, pretty much the opposite of Roman and Remus.

*Virgil POV*

My parents are way too busy at work to drive all the way here to visit, which is perfectly fine by me. I also don't have the money to go visit them, as they want me to save for my trip. I spend most of my break studying and staying at the dorms alone, as everyone else went home for the holidays.

I'm happy having the dorm to myself, as it means no one is here to make noise or steal my food. Yeah, I'm plotting my revenge for Brandon.

I decide to take a leaf out of Patton's book and bake because I'm bored. I don't mind sharing, and we have communal baking ingredients. Flour, sugar, oil, vanilla extract. I kinda freestyle it and hope it works.

They turned out ok. I put some of my peanut butter in the second time to salvage them, as before they were pretty flavorless. I think they'll like them. Or at the very least not hate them.

At around 9:30 PM Logan calls me. I think it's around 6:30 where he is.

"Salutations, Virgil. Are you faring well?" He asks.

I would be lying if I said I didn't have a moment of nervous panic, follow quickly by joy when Logan called me.

"Yeah. You?"

"I am adequate. Has anything interesting been going on with you?" Logan asks.

"Not really. What about you?"

I still don't like talking that much, but I like listening to Logan's stories of college and the random things Emile does around the dorm. I didn't know Emile was living with Logan.

Logan and I talk for a few hours, him seeming to forget we're in different time zones. At around 10:45 for me, 7:45 for Logan, Patton, and Roman join our call. They're still in the Midwest, where it's around 9:45. I don't know why I'm so caught up in who time it is for who.

I'm on my third cup of coffee when Logan suddenly realizes it's almost midnight for me. I think it's only 9 PM for him.

"Virgil, why didn't you say anything? You must be exhausted, go to bed," He says.

I blink. We're on a video call, and he notices my underreaction. I'm a little slow right now from how late it is. Midnight isn't even that late, it's just I'm tired and haven't had a proper sleep schedule since September.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I guess it's kinda late,"

Logan talks me into going to bed as my coffee wears off, and I listen to him. I forget to hang up when I go to bed, still in my day clothes.

On mobile, can't use bold/italics. I hope you enjoyed reading and feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments. Have a wonderful day/night you magnificent peep!