Chapter 13: Homesick and Baking

*Patton POV*

I'm all alone in the apartment. Usually, I go out and walk around the city after I finish my schoolwork, but today I don't feel like it.

Roman's still at work, Logan's probably doing schoolwork, and so is Virgil. That or the two of them are hanging out together. Either way, I don't want to disturb that. 

I sit by the window, just staring outside. 

I don't know what to do. I'm bored and want to do something but at the same time, I don't. I really just, I don't know, feel upset. There's nothing to feel upset about, so I don't know why I am. I just feel as though a small ball of loneliness has planted itself in my heart. 

After a while, Roman gets home. He's back on a normal schedule, with no super late times. Despite being with him, the feeling doesn't go away.

"Hey Pat," He says.

"Hey," I say.

He frowns.

"Is everything Gucci, Patton?" He asks.

I shrug. I'm fine, apart from the achy feeling in my chest.

"I guess, I'm just feeling a little..." I trail off.

"Homesick?" Roman finishes.

I nod.

"Me too," He says, "Maybe we need a distraction,"

"Maybe, yeah," I say.

I go over to the cabinets.

"I have an idea! Let's try and bake something from here!" I say.

Roman nods and grabs his phone. He starts listing off different things we could try to make. 

"How about something from The Great British Baking Show?" Roman suggests.

I watch that show all the time, so I agree. I think a lot of the recipes on there are either amazing or too good to be true. But they're not the latter, and our attempt will probably not be the former.

We eventually settle on the Jumble Biscuits from season 4.

"Great!" Roman says, "We have all the ingredients except for almost all of them. We have eggs, flours, and butter. That's it,"

He shows me the ingredients list.

"Well, I guess we should go out and get them," I say, "It's not too many, it'll be fine,"

---

We manage to get everything we need relatively cheap. Which is great, considering we're pretty much broke college students. Roman gets paid fairly well, but I still insist we split the cost of things. Which is a little hard considering I'm not currently working.

We get back to our apartment, and I get out the mixing bowls and stuff. Roman preheats the oven and unpacks the ingredients.

"So first we need to start by grinding up the seeds," Roman says.

"How, exactly?" I ask.

"I have no idea. Just find something and crush them repeatedly, I guess," Roman says.

That doesn't seem like the best way to do it, but how bad can this turn out?

"I'm wondering why they call nutmeg 'mace'," Roman says.

"They do?" I ask.

He nods and shows me the recipe.

"I guess it does. I wonder why," I say, "But I bet these'll taste a-mace-ing," 

"We'll find out eventually," Roman says.

*Logan POV*

Virgil and I have plans to go out for dinner together tonight, which is right now. So I'm at his door, knocking and waiting for a response. When I don't get one, I just open his door, assuming he might have fallen asleep.

I enter his room to see his looking out the window, listening to music, and lip-syncing with it. His hair is blowing with the wind and I see a genuine grin on his face.

"Virgil, may I ask what you are doing?" I ask.

He takes off his headphones and turns around.

"Oh, I didn't hear you come in," He says, a little sheepishly.

"My apologies, but what were you doing staring out the window? Isn't the sun shining directly in your eyes?" I question.

"Yeah. I was listening to music and got a little caught up in it," He says.

I hardly listen to music, but when I do it's usually classical, so I don't exactly know how someone can get 'caught up' in it. 

"How so?" I ask.

He lets out a small, exasperated sigh.

"You're telling me you've never pretended you were in a music video or something while listening to music?" Virgil asks, "Or seen Roman do it? I'm pretty sure he has, with his combination of love of being on stage and non-stop listening to Disney and theater songs,"

I try to think of when I have. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do this, with the closest example I can remember being when I help Roman rehearse.

"No, I haven't," I say.

He just stares at me in disbelief.

"You just haven't been listening to the right kind of music then, haven't you?" He says.

"I'm not sure what you mea-"

He places his headphones on me and starts to play music. 

"And there are voices all around, and you can never mute the sound. They scream and shout, I tune them out, and make up my own mind. I still got voices in my head, but now they're the normal kind!"

I would normally question the lyrics and what they mean, but the last few times I did so Roman told me 'shush, you don't understand' or 'watch the musical with me and you'll get it'. Neither of which I appreciated him saying.

"I still don't understand why you seemed as though you were about to dance. I have never seen you dance, I don't know why this type of music would make you want to," I say.

Virgil sighs but grins as well.

"You're adorable when you're oblivious to this sort of stuff," He says.

"I am not oblivious-" I protest.

"You may be smart, Lo, but only book smart," Virgil says.

"Yes, well, books are a good source of education and information, so it makes sense I would rely on them to-"

"You may need to get your vocab cards back," Virgil says.

"Weren't you the one who burned them?" I ask.

"Yep, and now I see why you had them in the first place. I'll make you some after our date, let's go," Virgil says.

He confuses me sometimes. 

Virgil grabs his phone, puts away his headphones, and we head out. 

Sorry again for the late update, I seem to just not unlock the ability to write for this until at least 3-4 PM. I hope you enjoyed reading, and feel free to leave any thoughts, theories, or feedback in the comments. Have a superb day/night you magnificent peep!