Chapter 12: Fake calls

*May POV*

I've found that fake phone calls seem to be effective when tricking people. So I'm going to stage one. The emo boy, whose name I can remember for the life of me, usually comes down to the common room a little after 12. That's when I'll do it.

---

It's 12:10, so I begin. I hear him coming down the stairs, so I start talking.

"You know, I was walking upstairs at my other place, near room 3, and I heard the guy in there non-stop complaining about their boyfriend," I say.

I pause for a moment.

"I know, blimey he was rude," I say, "I mean, he could have at least kept it down. And gosh, the complaints were, well..." I trail off.

I know the boy is behind me. This place has surprisingly loud floorboards.

"Well, I gotta go. Got some rubbish to take care of," I say.

I fake hang up and turn around. The kid isn't there, but I catch of glimpse of him going back upstairs.

*Virgil POV*

I go back upstairs, already questioning my existence. How do I know she's telling the truth? I don't. I never do and it's beginning to be a problem.

I don't want to just ask Logan. If I'm wrong I'll feel really bad and I don't want to be right. I really, really don't want what I heard to be right. But what if it is? What if it is and Logan just doesn't like me anymore? Could it be from when I got drunk? Or when I declined a date?

I flop onto my bed and bury my head in my pillow. I'm not going to ask. That did not go well with my last boyfriend, and I don't want it to happen with Logan. If he really doesn't like me, he'll break up with me, right? I guess I'll find out.

I feel the familiar ball of fear settle in my heart, and slowly rise up to my throat. I let out a small sob. I might be overreacting, seeing as she said 'by room 3', not 'in room 3'. I'm always overreacting.

I hear a knock on my door. I walk over to it and unlock it. 

"Hey Pat," I say.

He smiles brightly at me.

"Hi, kiddo! Roman's at work, so do you want to hang out?" He asks.

Not really. But we haven't hung out a lot since the summer. Even when we do, it's usually with the whole group.

"Sure," I say.

He beams, but his smile drops when he takes a closer look at me.

"Is everything alright with you, kiddo?" He asks, his tone dropping.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say.

I must have come off as defensive, or Patton's dad instincts kicked in.

"I can tell you're not. C'mon, let's talk," He says.

He steps into my room and I sit down on my bed.

"What's wrong, Virge?" He asks.

"It's just- I heard-" I stammer.

I don't want to say it because it will make it all the more real. That's the last thing I want right now.

"It's ok kiddo, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to," Patton says.

But I do. I tell him. At some point, I start to cry, which seems like a common reoccurrence in my relationships.

"Virgil, you need to stop doubting yourself," Patton says, "Of course Logan likes you, just look at high school!"

I sniffle.

"But- but what if he doesn't anymore? What if-" I say.

"No more 'what-ifs'. I can guarantee he likes you, and you are overthinking it. I know you do that a lot, but you need to let go of it. It won't do you any good," Patton says.

He's right but it won't be easy to. Overthinking is pretty much a part of me at this point. 

"Thanks, Pat," I say.

"Anytime, kiddo. Just remember that you're the first person Logan ever smiled at within days, that's an achievement," Patton says.

"Heh. Ok, well, do you still want to hang out?" I ask.

Patton looks outside the window.

"Sure. There's still time," He says.

*Logan POV*

January 20th. I'm leaving here on March 27th, when the quarter ends. There is so much and so little to do at the same time. I've mostly been focused on studying and being with Virgil. But there is a lot more to do while in a foreign country. 

I'm not entirely sure what I should do here. There are many things, but I'd rather not go alone. But we all have work and school to take care of, which is my top priority. Anything else can wait. Going to see the sights of London will not help me graduate college.

After a while, I decide to go to the grocery store to get some food. I'm running a little low, but not extremely. I just want an excuse to stop working all day.

As I come downstairs, I hear a conversation. It's May. It's not my place to eavesdrop, but I can't help but do it anyway.

"I mean, I feel like I should tell him. The emo boy's boyfriend, I mean. It feels kinda wrong to not tell him his boyfriend doesn't like him the same way," May says, "Of course, I didn't mean to snoop, I just overheard. I don't think anyone  knows how thin the walls are here,"

She pauses, presumably listening to the person on the other end.

"Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I don't think I should say anything. I could get in trouble for eavesdropping," May says, "Well, duty calls. I'll talk to you later,"

She puts down her phone and turns around. But I get out of sight. I go back upstairs to my room. I'm not hungry anymore.

I'm not entirely sure that May's conversation was truthful. For all I know, she could be twisting his words and making it seem different than how it actually was. It is very possible Virgil was talking about someone else. At least I hope.

Just a reminder: I have never been to London, I am trying my best to make this as accurate as possible. I'm really sorry for any inaccuracies. Also, sorry for the late update today, I've been losing some motivation. But I really hope you enjoyed reading, and feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments. Have a good day/night you magnificent peep!