Chapter 19: Suspicious

TW: Self-deprecation

*Logan POV*

I'm in my room, reading a book. I've finished all my schoolwork and studying for the week. It's Tuesday, the 8th. It's only been 15 days. It feels like longer.

I hear a knock at my door.

"Salutations, Roman," I say, opening it.

"Sup," He says, "Can I come in?"

"Yes,"

He enters and sits down on a chair. He looks tense and nervous.

"Is something wrong, Roman?" I ask.

"I think we need to talk. About you and Virgil," He says.

I frown, ready to punch something, but retain my professionalism. 

"Why so?" I ask.

"Well," He hesitates, "I don't think either of you actually broke up with each other,"

I let out a laugh. That is ridiculous, he sent me a note, clearly stating he was breaking up with me. How is that not a break-up?

"That's impossible," I say.

"I know you think that, but hear me out," Roman says, "Two nights ago Virgil kinda had a breakdown, thought I was Patton, and told me how upset he was that he was kicked out because you filed a bunch of reports against him. He took that as a breakup, and obviously, he couldn't stay in the apartment, so he left. See, your stories don't match up, but if Virgil was having a breakdown, would he really lie?" 

I'm not even going to ask how he mistook Roman for Patton. They hardly have any physical traits in common. But I see this as a debate challenge, so I'll treat it as such. 

"He could have just assumed the reports were from me," I say, "Did he actually see them? If not, who told him they were? Possibly nobody and he jumped to a conclusion. It's something he does a lot,"

Roman sighs.

"I'm not trying to say you broke up with him, or that the reason he got kicked out is true, but don't you think this whole thing is a little fishy? People don't just randomly think their partner broke up with them," He says.

"Fair point, but what makes you think he is telling the truth?" I ask.

Roman raises an eyebrow.

"It's not my place to tell, but I assure you I know he wasn't. And this is coming from me, remember," He says.

He has always had a tendency to side against Virgil. But what can't he tell me?

"Fine. So what do you think happened?" I ask.

"Where to start?" He asks.

"Preferably at the beginning," I say.

He looks at me.

"It's an expression," He says.

"You never made me that notecard," I counter, smirking.

Roman sighs.

"Anyway,"

*Patton POV*

Roman told me all about what happened to Virgil that night. That was two days ago. He's not doing too well, but at least he's still doing his schoolwork. That's good, right?

"Hey kiddo," I say, "Want to go for a walk?"

"Sure," He mumbles.

This is an improvement. It usually takes me several tries to get him to come with me.

Just as we're about to leave, Roman bursts in through the door, almost knocking Virgil down.

"You ok, kiddo?" I ask.

He holds his hands out to balance himself. He nods.

"Mk," I say, turning back to Roman, "Any reason you're in such a rush?"

"Virgil, can you tell me exactly what went down the night you got kicked out?" He asks.

"I don't know if he's ready to talk abo-"

"I'm asking him," Roman says.

He wasn't saying it in a mean tone, but it was still a little harsh.

"N- No. Not right now," Virgil mumbles.

He walks away, not looking up at Roman or me.

"Roman," I say, giving him my 'stern dad' look.

"What?" He asks, "I was just asking him to-"

He stops when he makes eye contact.

"I'm trying to get him to not be sad, this isn't helping. It's barely been over two weeks, that's not a lot of time," I say.

"Ok, but-"

"No buts, I'm going on a walk with Virgil. It's your turn to make dinner," I say.

I go to the bathroom where Virgil's hiding and convince him to still go. He touches up his makeup and then we leave.

*Roman POV*

I guess Virgil is still really sensitive. I guess I should have known, but seeing as Logan seemed more over it I thought Virgil would be too. 

Patton and Virgil leave to go who knows where, and I go to the kitchen to start dinner. I have almost no cooking skills, unlike Patton, so I just decide to make pasta. It's easy and we have a few boxes.

---

"Virgil, dinner!" Patton calls.

They're back and Virgil disappeared into the bathroom.

After a few minutes of no response, Patton says,

"Let's eat. I'll get him to later," 

"Mk," I say.

"So why were you asking about why he got kicked out?" Patton asks.

"Remember two days ago? Well, today I talked to Logan and we've both been thinking something's up," I say.

"He actually talked about it?" Patton asks.

I nod.

"So we just need Virgil's side of the story to make sure things are accurate. Or inaccurate, I guess. Then we can begin to guess why and how this happened," I say.

"That's actually a smart plan," He says, "It's plan-tastic," 

I roll his eyes.

After dinner, Patton makes several attempts to get Virgil to eat. He eventually stops, under the promise that Virgil would eat at every meal tomorrow. 

*Virgil POV*

I'm being stupid by not moving on. I'm being selfish for making Patton worry. I just don't want to move on and accept the reality that Logan hates me and we're no longer the happy couple we once were.

I lock myself in the bathroom most days or hide in blankets on the couch. At least I get my homework done, but not much else other than that. 

I hear Patton and Roman talking outside. I hear my name and Logan's. They're probably talking about how selfish and awful I am.

I take out my earbuds and plug them in. I've never told anyone, not even Roman, that I love Broadway and musicals. I put on the soundtrack for Beetlejuice, and sit against the wall, looking up and closing my eyes. 

Sad boi Virgil makes me sad. Well, I hope you enjoyed reading, feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments, and have a stellar day/night you magnificent peep!