Bonus Chapter 1: Grocery Store Encounters

TW: homophobia because Logan's parents

(9 months after series, they are back for the winter holidays)

*Logan POV*

I squeeze Virgil's hand tightly. I know how he usually feels, now that I'm back in our home town. Back to where my parents are living. My parents, who hate me and could run into me at any second. So yes, I would not say this is a fun trip. But Virgil wanted to see his parents, and I wanted to come with, so this is my own fault.

"Ordinarily I'd tell you to relax because you're cutting off my circulation, but I'll make an exception right now," Virgil says.

"Thank you," I say, loosening my grip a little.

We're grocery shopping for our road trip back to California, as it's our last day here. We've been here for a week, and frankly, I'm exhausted. I don't know how Virgil lives with anxiety. But he's in therapy with Emile, so he's doing better.

As we enter an aisle,  someone puts their hand on Virgil's shoulder.

"Hello-" they start to say.

Virgil whips around and slaps the person right in the face. I also turn around and see who it is. Janus.

"Hey! What the-" he shouts.

"It's ok, JJ!" Remus says, coming up behind him, "You went to talk to Virgie and you expected to not get slapped?"

If he wants to talk to Virgil then we should get out.

"Virgil, which way is the dairy aisle? Can you show me? I forgot," I say.

He nods and grabs my hand, racing off.

"Great seeing you, Remus!" he calls.

"You too, Virgie!" Remus says.

We speedwalk to a random aisle, which turns out to be the jelly aisle.

"That was awkward," Virgil says, "But thanks," 

"You can thank me by letting me get this Crofter's," I say.

They have Logan Berry, which we don't have back home. Well, back at my new home.

"Lo, we have 10 jars at home!" Virgil says.

"And?" I ask, giving him a small smile.

"Fine. Only because you are adorable," he says.

"Yes! This is totally gnarly!" I say.

"That's outdated and don't make me change my mind. And I don't think anyone said that in the first place," Virgil says.

"Ok, I'll stop!" I say.

He is not taking away my Crofter's!

"Ok, let's go check out," Virgil says.

I nod. We go through the aisles and to the checkout. As we get in line, I see someone in front of us. Two someones and the two people I've wanted to avoid ever since I got here.

My father and step-mother.

My grip on Virgil's hand tightens even more. 

"Don't worry, it'll be fine," Virgil assures me.

They are right in front of us, and if they turn around then it's all over.

Just as they're about to leave, they do just that. Turn around. And make eye contact.

"Well, good to know our son is back in town and didn't think to tell us!" Step-Mother says.

"I'm not either your's son. Especially not you," I say.

She scowls.

"I see you're still with that rat, so I guess your mind is still poisoned," Father says.

"I'm right here, and you look a lot more like a rat than I do," Virgil says.

"It's not poisoned, and yes, I'm still with the love of my life. And I am not sorry about that. I am sorry for how much you failed as parents," I say.

"He's right. He is no son of mine. He is a disgrace and a disappointment," Step-Mother says, turning away.

As they walk away, the cashier calls them back over.

"You two still need to pay," she says.

"Not with that creature there, we're not!" Father says.

I hate them, but that hurts. I still had a sliver of hope for my father.

"I have no control over that. But you do need to pay or I'm calling the police," the cashier says.

"We will once he leaves," Father says, pointing to me.

"Can I get a manager over here!?" she calls.

I'm still holding my gaze, even though I want nothing more than for them to just leave.

A manager comes out soon, and I'm relieved to see it's one of my friends from high school. We knew each other quite well. He takes one look at me, my- the two angry people, and the cashier. He briefly speaks with the cashier, then turns to the,

"Sir, ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to pay and leave. You will no longer be welcome here," he says.

"What?!" Step-Mother explodes.

"Pay and leave," he says firmly, "Or I can kick you out with no groceries,"

"Fine," Father grumbles.

He glares at me as he does so, and on his way out gives me the finger. 

"Lo, it'll be ok. I may or may not have texted Remus about this," Virgil says.

That makes me smile a bit. At least there will be some revenge.

"Thanks," I say.

We go up to pay as the cashier scans our items.

"And thank you two for doing that," I say to her and the manager.

"Not a problem. I hate people like that," the manager says.

The cashier nods in agreement.

As we exit the store, I see them standing outside their car, which has been egged and damaged a bit. Most likely because of Remus. I keep my head down as we go to our car, making sure they don't notice me.

"Well, I think it's safe to say we're not going anywhere here without Remus to annoy them," Virgil says.

"Agreed. And I'm sorry you had to hear them yell and say those things," I say.

"I've met them before, it's fine. But what I want to know is if you're alright," he asks.

I nod.

"For the most part, y-yes," I say.

"If you need to let anything out, tears or anger or anything in between, I'm here for you," Virgil says.

"Thank you," I say.

He truly is the love of my life, and I don't know what I'd do without him.

Once we get in the car, I let a few tears slip down my face. I may hate them, but what they said still hurts.

"I know I'm never one to look on the bright side, but at least you're not their son anymore. So they have no power over you. They're not your family, I am," Virgil says.

"You're right, but-" I stop myself and wipe my tears.

"It's safe here, you can let it out," Virgil says in a comforting tone.

I weakly smile at him.

"I love you," I say.

"I love you too, Logan," he says.

Just because this is a bonus chapter doesn't mean it's free from angst. I don't have a clue how many bonus chapters I'm going to make, but they'll end once I add an epilogue. So I hope you enjoyed reading, feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments, and have a splendid day/night you magnificent peep!