Chapter 20: Not so elementary

*Logan POV*

I'm just finishing my homework at my computer when I hear a knock. I hand my work in and leave my desk.

"Hello again, Roman," I say, opening the door.

"Hello," He says, "So I want to do some investigating about this whole thing, want to help?"

I'm about to say no when he adds,

"I'll let you wear your Sherlock outfit,"

"Fine," I say.

I don't have the full outfit but I have the hat and scarf. It's always best to be prepared. I put them both on and we get to work.

"Ok, so first we need to figure out a list of suspects and their motives," Roman says, "I tried asking Virge but he wasn't ready,"

I look at him.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I ask.

"He's not emotionally ready," Roman corrects.

"That's not any better," I say.

"Moving on-" Roman says, "Who do we know hates you and Virgil? More specifically, your relationship?"

He just has no worries about comfort here, does he?

"Amy, obviously," I say.

"And how would she get to you two in a different country? And you and Virgil never posted on social media that you were coming here, and I doubt any of your friends would tell her," Roman says, "Have you seriously annoyed anyone here?"

"Technically, I haven't. But the other 8 people living here don't like me, but that happened after the- after it," I say.

Roman nods. I think he's figuratively gone to the focused, attentive, and serious part of his mind.

"Ok, is there anyone who is just an asshole so they might have wanted to cause this? And have the power to do so?" He asks.

We both discuss theories about the many people Virgil and I have interacted with on this trip, as well as how there's no way this was an accident.

"Ok, but how are you certain he's telling the truth?" I ask, "It could still very well be his doing,"

I'm still very suspicious, considering our encounter at the park a while back, and how he seems completely fine whenever he's walking around and I pass him on the street. He's always with Patton, of course, so no further fights have occurred.

"I told you, it's not my place to tell. It's personal, and I only found out because he lives with me," Roman says.

"Fine," I sigh.

I'm still skeptical, but if that's how it's going to be, I'll try not to. It won't mean I'll trust everything Roman says he says.

"Ok, so back to assholes who might just want to do it for the sake of it. Can you think of anyone?"

"I'm not certain on any one person, " I say, "Although there is an, as you put it, asshole here, her name is May," I say, "She's the landlord,"

Roman nods, "I see. I'll ask our emo nightmare about it later,"

"Ok," I nod.

I look at the time. About 2 hours have passed.

"Oh crap, I gotta get going. I'm filming in half an hour!" Roman says, "Sorry Lo, totally forgot about it, I'll come back-"

"If you're in such a rush then go!" I say, cutting him off.

"Right, thanks," He says, rushing out.

*Patton POV*

Roman and I went out on a date last night and afterward, he asked me if I could get Virgil to tell me what happened the night he got kicked out. He promised it was for a good reason, and I trust him. Although it kinda feels like I'm going to be deceiving Virgil. But it's to help, so it's good. I'm pretty sure.

I agreed, and while Roman's at work or Logan's, I'm going to be convincing Virgil to talk. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a few tips from Emile. We aren't in contact that much, but I'd still consider us friends.

It's late afternoon. Roman's at work, and by the looks of things, Virgil's done with his schoolwork, so he can't use that as an excuse to say no.

"Hey Virge, want to go to the park?" I ask.

"Pat, we've been to the same park so many times. What's the point of going again?" He asks.

"Fun! But I have a different park in mind," I say.

Waterlow Park. It's farther than the one we usually go to, but it looks pretty. 

"Fine," He says, getting up.

I beam at him.

"Yay! C'mon, let's go!" I say.

---

We're at the park, walking by the lake.

"So, Virgil," I say.

"Yeah?" He asks.

"Do you want to- uh- can we talk about- nevermind," I say.

I was so close. Virgil gives me a confused look.

"Ok..." He says.

We go back to walking in silence and I hear him start humming. 

"What song is that?" I ask.

Virgil shakes his head and blinks.

"What?" He asks.

"The song. You were humming," I say.

"I was? Oh, I don't know," He says, looking a little embarrassed. 

30 minutes later and he's humming again. We're making our way back to the bus stop. I listen closely to his humming. I recognize the tune, but I don't know from where. Then it hits me. It's a song from West Side Story. Roman and I watched it together a few times.

Virgil likes musicals! I guess it's not that big of a surprise, as he was really willing to help out with our Hamilton school production last year. I bet Roman will be ecstatic if or when Virgil tells him. Maybe then he'll have someone besides me to obsess over them with. I love supporting his passions and watching them with him, but I'm not too into musicals myself. 

I do have an appreciation for the music in them, though, being a former band student. A lot of the music played is really good, which is an achievement on its own.

We board the bus. I think if I had to choose, my favorite musical would be the Spongebob one. But that's probably because Spongebob is my favorite show and has my favorite song. The Campfire Song Song. 

When we get back to the apartment, I realize I'll have to try and ask Virgil again sometime. But I don't know how to ask without him getting upset.

I HAVE BEEN TAGGED! So I've made a tag book with my tag if you want to see it. I hope you enjoyed reading, and feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments. Have a great day/night you magnificent peep!