Chapter 23: In the Rain

*Virgil POV*

I wish I had the skills to break into a building right now. Or climb a building. Or any spy movie skills.

But I don't and now I can't confirm if the love of my life is ok. And I can't get any details from Roman or Patton. Which really, really does not help my state right now. I have no idea what is going on and it is driving me crazy.

I pull out my phone and call Roman. It's been 15 minutes since our last call. I've been wandering up and down the street, waiting.

"Virgil, this is the third time you've called me," Roman says, answering.

"This is the first time you've picked up," I say, "So have you figured out a way for me to be let in?"

I don't exactly know why they can't just come outside, but at the same time, I don't want them to because then I'll be either mad, sobbing, or having a panic attack on the street. Which is already kinda happening, but still.

"Nope. I don't know what to say," Roman says, "I guess we'll update you when we get home,"

"Fine," I say.

I have never been closer to smashing my phone and someone's kneecaps. I hear a crack of thunder and feel rain start to pour down. Great, the universe is trying to screw me over right now. Just great.

*Patton POV*

It's been 20 minutes since Roman went downstairs. We're still in a crisis and I'm wondering what happened to the part of me that calmed people down during finals week. I have calming music playing, comforting words, and everything else I can think of, but nothings working. 

Logan's having a breakdown, there's no doubt about that. If only Virgil was here, I'm willing to bet he'd know how to help Logan. I don't, considering I've never seen him have a breakdown not related to grades before.

"Lo, it's-"

"No. It's not going to be ok and it is my fault," He says.

Well crap. Where are Roman and Virgil?

Roman comes in a few minutes later to the mess.

"Roman where the frick frack is he?" I ask.

"He can't come. He's banned," Roman says.

"WHAT?!" I shout.

"Yeah, the lady banned him. There's nothing I can do!" He says.

Well, this isn't good.

"Logan, if we watch your favorite documentary would you calm down a little? You can't be rational when you're in this state," I say.

I really hope that was convincing because I have no clue. He's the one who studies psychology textbooks for fun, not me.

"Roman, get on Our Planet," I hiss.

He nods and opens up Logan's computer.

"I can't, I don't know his password," He hisses back.

Logan's too caught up in his world of fear and sadness to hear us. My poor nerdy child.

"Well you better figure it out or pull it up on your phone, I'm struggling here," I snap.

Roman nods and I turn my attention back to Logan.

"Logan, just talk to me," I say, "Please,"

He turns away from me. He's stilled balled up against the wall, now squeezing the life out of the pillow I grabbed him. Logan is usually the one who knows what to do in these situations, not the one who causes them. It's easier with Virgil because all he needs is someone to talk to, lots of praise and encouragement, and a hug and he recovers. 

This is very different. But then Logan looks up as if something just dawned on him.

*Logan POV*

"You said he couldn't come in," I say, "So I'll just go out to see him,"

"Logan, are you crazy?" Roman asks, "It's pouring and thundering,"

"Well, last I checked I am not up high or made of metal, so my chances of being struck by lightning are low," I say, "And I own an umbrella,"

"He probably already went home in this storm, and you should stay in your home too," Patton says.

Just a few minutes ago they wanted Virgil over here, now they don't want me to see him at all. That doesn't make any sense. Although I suppose with how I reacted to him last time in public is probably what they have in mind. 

"No," I say.

I grab my umbrella and rush out the door before they can stop me.

"Oh no," I hear Patton mutter.

I rush outside, opening up my umbrella.

It's pouring out, and even with my glasses, I wouldn't be able to see a few feet in front of me. But I do see the dark figure, standing on the sidewalk, not looking for shelter from the rain. He doesn't even have an umbrella. What an idiot. My idiot.

"Virgil?" I ask.

He looks at me. His jacket, the one I made, is soaking wet and he doesn't seem to mind.

"Yes, Logan?" He asks.

I walk towards him.

"Why are you standing out in the rain? You don't even have your hood up," I say.

He furrows his eyebrows and tugs on my tie. He pulls me in and we kiss. I believe this is what he would call 'a cliche movie scene because people wouldn't actually kiss in the rain, they'd go inside to not get soaked like normal people'. Funny how hypocritical he's being right now. Not that I'm objecting to this kiss.

"I freaking love you, but I still hate you," He says.

"Those two statements are contradictory," I say.

Virgil just shrugs. Patton and Roman come out of the building and see us two standing very close.

"Ok, Virgil we are going home before something bad happens," Patton says, rushing over to grab Virgil.

My smile drops as he leads Virgil away.

"Everything alright, Lo?" Roman asks.

I absentmindedly nod. 

Wait. 

I didn't ask about him eating. Is he? He better be. But the fact he says he still hates me worries me. What if I made things worse just then? What if-

No more what-ifs is a policy I need for my thoughts.

"Ok," Roman says, "I'll take you upstairs but then I have to go to work," 

It's around 11 AM.

"Ok," I say.

I made half this chapter while sipping on a homemade vanilla steamer while a severe thunderstorm was passing through and I never felt so peaceful. Thunderstorms are my only exception to my loud and sudden noises fear. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading! I won't be able to update this weekend, really sorry about that. Feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments and have a wonderful day/night you magnificent peep!