Chapter Eleven - The Gun

The crusaders hadn't seen or heard anything from Polnareff that day, spending the night at that Indian hotel. Fortunately, there were no more incidents, as there were enough rooms for the men to sleep in pairs and (Y/N) all by herself.

The next morning, the rain was pouring, while the foreigners were having their breakfast. The atmosphere was quiet, but in the same time, it all felt quite awkward. There was an empty seat at the table. Even though they all knew Polnareff was definitely not going to show up, a small part of them still hoped he was.

Suddenly, (Y/N) noticed the worried look on Avdol's face. She could tell by the way the man looked at the empty seat that he was concerned about his reckless friend. She couldn't help but ask, breaking the silence. "Are you alright, Mr. Avdol?"

The man raised his head humming. He closed his eyes and shook his head. "You don't have to address me formally, (Y/N)!" he smiled falsely.

The girl narrowed her eyes and kept staring at him. She knew Avdol was trying to change the subject, but that thing didn't work with her. The Egyptian man also noticed her long stare, so he sighed. He had no choice but to tell the others what was bothering him.

"I have a bad feeling..." he stopped in the middle of the sentence. "Something is telling me that Polnareff is in danger..."

Avdol groaned sighing and grabbing the bridge of his nose with his thumb and pointing finger. Seeing the way she had made the man feel, (Y/N) turned back to her seat, keeping her hands on her lap, playing with her skirt, maybe she could stop asking stupid questions and making people feel even worse that they had been feeling.

She glanced at the chai cup standing on the table, right in front of her. It was the first time in that journey, when she didn't feel like eating. Of course, she had eaten dinner the evening before, but she didn't eat that much there either. (Y/N) felt like she wanted to take the cup and drink from it, but her hands didn't want to listen to her.

"But you, (Y/N)... Are you alright?" Avdol's calm but concerned voice made her head immediately lift up, the girl getting a little bit dazed from the sudden move. She didn't quite catch his question at first, but after a second, she managed to answer it, without having the Egyptian man repeat it.

"Oh, uh... Yeah, I'm fine!" she exclaimed closing her eyes and smiling.

Avdol continued. "You haven't touched your food nor your drink, (Y/N)..."

That caught her off guard. Was it that obvious that she hadn't eaten anything? She had thought that no-one really noticed or cared about that. (Y/N) sighed, looking at her skirt again, away from everyone. The girl gasped slightly when she felt a hand on her back. She turned her head, firstly looking on her left, where Jotaro was having his cap over his eyes, then on her right, where she saw the Egyptian man looking worriedly at her.

He smiled. "It's alright if you don't know what's going on either..."

‘How does he know that?‘ she thought, without changing the expression on her face. ‘Oh wait, he's a fortune teller...‘ (Y/N) mentally slapped her face, while realizing that it was all probably a guess based on her confused face; Avdol couldn't read minds.

"But... If anything bothers you, don't be afraid to ask for help, right, Mr. Joestar?" he continued, turning around to the old man. Jotaro's grandfather immediately nodded, reassuring the girl that she is cared for.

Kakyoin's voice made (Y/N) turn her head in the pink haired guy's direction. "You know you can always talk to me!" His smile was so bright, it made the girl's heart flutter.

"Yare yare..." the last one of the crusaders was heard. "You're annoying when you're sad." Jotaro said strongly, but with a low tone.

It was the first time the black haired student properly spoke to her, after the incident.