chapter 3

It was time. He had trained for three years under Garp and was now ready to cast off. Luffy took one last look around the forest he had grown up in and smiled. He took in a deep breath before rushing off to the bandit house.

"Dadan! Everyone! I'm leaving now." Luffy said as he peered inside the house. The bandits all looked at him while Dadan had her back turned to him.

"Good. Now we can finally get some peace around here, you little monster." Dadan said, not looking at Luffy at all. Luffy just smiled and was about to walk away, but turned back to them and said "I hate mountain bandits, but I like you guys."

"Will you just get out of here, you rotten brat?!" Dadan shouted through her tears that she failed to wipe up with her hanky. Luffy's smile grew before he bolted off through the forest, running at speeds even he didn't know he could. In what felt like no time at all, he had already ran all the way to the docks of Fushia Village. Some of villagers were a little surprised to see Luffy appear of nowhere, but they smiled anyway. Soon, the whole village appeared to see Luffy off, cheering him on and wishing him good luck.

"Well Mayor, he's off." said Makino as she smiled.

"Hmph." grumped Mayor Woop Slap. "Off to bring shame to our village no doubt."

"Alright everyone!" Luffy shouted as he untied his little fishing boat. "I'm off!" And he slowly drifted away from his village, waving back to them all. "Bye Mayor! Bye Makino! Bye Everyone! Wish me luck!" Luffy shouted as waved. His eyes widened a bit as he felt a presence lurking under the water before his smile returned. Out from under the water rose the Lord of the Coast. Luffy decided to have some fun and pretend not to notice, even with all the villagers crying out in panic. The sea king lunged at Luffy, only for Luffy to smile and turn around at the last second, backhanding the sea king so hard that it flew out of the water and skipped across the surface a few times before using the same hand to wave it goodbye as well. "Bye Fish!" he said, stunning the villagers silent. Luffy then looked to the clear blue sky and smiled as memories of his friends came to him. He felt a few tears fall before rubbing his eyes and smiling.

"Wait for me everyone. We'll be together again." he said before he thought of Nami and Robin again. He pulled his hat down over his eyes as he blushed. "I gotta be careful. I might turn into Sanji." he said before he started laughing. He stared again at the sky with a determined look. "You know, Phil did say to change history. I wonder how I'll do that this time. Last time," he said before he lowered his eyes to the boat as he sat down, letting the wind and waves carry him along. "Last time, they got us because they threw every marine they could spare at us. Hundreds of thousands of them against 10 of us." His eyes shot open "That's it! I'll get more crewmates. More friends! I've come across other strong people who weren't in my crew before, I'll recruit them this time. This is gonna be so fun!" He then stood up and shouted for the whole world to hear, "I'M GONNA BE KING OF THE PIRATES!"

()()()()

It had been a few hours since Luffy left for his adventure, and on cue, his first obstacle had appeared.

"There's the whirlpool I got sucked into last time. Alright then," he said before eating all the fruit in the barrel and sealing himself inside. "Time for a ride." He waited for a moment before he felt it. His boat was slowly being swallowed by the whirlpool as he spun around for a few moments. "Ahhhh I'm getting dizzy." he said as his eyes spiraled around. It lasted for a few moments before it ceased. All was quiet for a moment as the barrel then floated away from the whirlpool and surfaced. He closed his eyes and used his Observation Haki to see everything through the barrel. He smiled as he felt the presence of everyone on both the Cruise ship that was sailing close by and the far off Pirate Ship that was hiding behind the rocks. His eyes opened when he felt...her. He could see her plain as day with his haki, and he couldn't help the rush of feelings coming to him. He wanted to burst out of that barrel, stretch over to the ship, and squeeze her in a hug like there was no tomorrow, but he remembered why he was here. He took a deep breath to calm himself down as he tried to focus on other things. He took his mind off of Nami when he felt two sailors trying to throw a hook out to his barrel. He smiled when he heard the splash of water.