chapter 9

It was dawn. The pirates were coming, and the four of them were up at the top of the slope. They looked out at the ocean, speaking not a word as they waited for the fight that was to come. As they did, Usopp, Nami, and Zoro were still stunned by what they saw not too long ago.

-Flashback-

"Haki?" Zoro asked.

"Yeah. That's what it's called." Luffy said with a grin.

"So that's how you survived both attacks Luffy?" Zoro asked as Nami remembered the cannonball while Usopp looked lost as to what they were talking about.

"Exactly."

"Okay. So...what is it?"

"It's...well...hmm." Luffy said as he had his hand to his chin again in thought. "It's a mystery power." he answered, causing the three others to fall over.

"Is that all you can say?!" Zoro roared at Luffy. Luffy thought for a moment before grinning.

"You know, rather than tell you, I'll show you." he said as he took off his hat and gently placed it on the ground before looking them all straight in the eye and said "Hit me."

"Huh?" they all asked, thinking they heard wrong.

"Hit you?" Nami asked.

"Yeah. As hard as you all can. Don't hold back."

"Are you crazy or something?" Usopp asked, now sure that Luffy had lost his mind.

"It's okay. Just do it." Luffy said as he stood completely still with his arms at his sides.

"Alright." Zoro said as he pulled his arm back before punching Luffy in the head, knowing it wouldn't hurt him. They watched as Luffy's body stayed put, but his head flew back as his neck stretched out.

"GYAAAAAAAH!" Usopp screamed, freaking out at seeing Luffy's rubber powers for the first time. "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU?!" he screamed again as Luffy's head came flying back before stopping where his head was before the punch.

"I'm a rubber man." Luffy said before they told Usopp that he ate a Devil fruit.

"No way. Those things exist?" Usopp asked, still shocked at seeing what he saw.

"Yep." he answered before looking at Zoro again. "Hit me again."

"Really?" Zoro asked, now getting bored.

"Yes." Luffy said with a grin. Zoro sighed but pulled his arm back again and threw the punch. His fist hit Luffy in the face like last time, only Luffy's head didn't budge as Zoro drew his fist back, waving his hand before seeing where he hit had turned black on Luffy's forehead.

"What is that?" Nami asked pointing at Luffy's head as Usopp rubbed his eyes.

"This," Luffy said as he pointed at the blackened part of his head. "This is Armament Haki." he declared as the black faded from his head.

"Armament...Haki?" Usopp asked.

"Haki is basically pure willpower." he said as he held up a fist and turned it black. "With training, you can unlock two of the three forms of haki. This black stuff is Armament Haki. It acts like a suit of armor around your self." he said as he hand turned back to normal. "And it even lets your attacks hurt those who are Logia types."

"N-no way." Nami said wide eyed as Usopp's jaw practically hit the ground.

"Huh? So that's how you're still alive after those attacks?" Zoro said in a slightly impressed tone.

"Yeah." Luffy continued. "And with enough training, you can even infuse that power into your swords Zoro." This caused Zoro to grin as Luffy looked to Usopp. "And even in things like your slingshot attacks.