chapter 30

Some time had passed after they all left Whiskey Peak. Johnny and Yosaku were fishing, Luffy was wanting Sanji to make food, Sanji was passing out drinks to the ladies, Vivi was looking at everyone doing whatever they wanted to do, and the rest were carefully watching Valerie to make sure she didn't pull anything. Through the ranting for food, Luffy finally noticed one was missing.

"Hey guys?" he said. "Where's Alvida?"

"She went below deck." Usopp said as he sat down on the railing next to Johnny and Yosaku to fish with them.

"Great!" Sanji said in love mode. "I've got a drink made just for her right here!" he cheered before running towards the door.

"Wait big bro!" Johnny said, making Sanji stop before he could touch the door. "I don't think it's a good idea to talk to her." he said as he stared out at sea.

"Huh?" Sanji asked.

"What's wrong?" Luffy asked.

"Well, we went to talk to her a moment ago, but we think she wishes to be left alone." Yosaku said, not looking at any of them.

"What makes you say that?" Gin asked. Both of them looked at everyone, revealing swollen faces covered in scratches.

"Just a hunch." they said in unison through busted lips. Everyone just sweatdropped at the sight of them. Luffy had a blank face before he walked towards the door.

"I'll go talk to her." he said, going through the door faster than any of them could protest. He walked below deck and looked around for a moment before spotting Alvida sitting quietly on a box with her head down. He took a few steps towards her, but stopped just out of range as she swung her mace at him without even looking up.

"Go away." she said in a quiet voice.

"You okay?" he asked.

"I'm fine." she said in an irritated tone. Luffy kept a blank look but didn't budge. He just sat down with his arms crossed. He stayed that way for a few moments before Alvida finally got fed up and glared at him. "What do you want?!"

"I wanna know what's wrong." he said.

"I told you Captain, I'm fine." she said.

"Then why are your eyes red and puffy?" Luffy asked. Alvida kept glaring at him as he looked back at her. She finally turned her back on him and crossed her own arms.

"It's...nothing." she said. It was quiet, but Luffy could hear the change in her tone from angry to sad. He stood up, walked over to her, and sat on the same box next to her.

"If it was really nothing, you wouldn't be crying would you?" he asked. She didn't say anything as they both sat there in the dark. The sound of the waves rocking the ship was all they heard for a few moments before Luffy closed his eyes sighed. "Alright, I'll leave." he said as he started walking away.

"I thought it would end." she said. Luffy stopped walking and looked back at her.

"End?" he said. Alvida looked back at him with a sad look and sighed.

"Remember when our paths first crossed?" she asked.

"Yeah." he said, remembering seeing her as a giant ball of fat with legs.

"After you sent me flying, I landed in the ocean." she continued. "It took awhile, but I had managed to swim to an island."

"Wow. You must've been a good swimmer." Luffy said.

"Every pirate should be able to swim." she said in a deadpan voice. "After I finally got to shore, I couldn't stop thinking of you and how you defeated me so easily. If it hadn't been for your rubber powers, I'd have killed you instantly."