16

5:30AM

"Get out! Move!" Eddie screamed, looking the most scared anyone in the room had seen him. His new henchmen, looking pretty terrified themselves, were working on unbuckling their three captors. As soon as Blaine was unbolted from the wall, he and Kurt pulled each other, wordlessly, into a tight hug. As soon as Kurt saw Blaine's blue lips and felt his freezing skin, he gasped. No human should ever be that cold. Blaine had stopped shivering by now, which was even more worrying. Kurt knew what that meant. His body was conserving energy. Blaine was at serious risk of developing hyperthermia.

Blaine's hand carefully glided up Kurt's arm, to his head. His fingers spread, so that he was cradling Kurt's head. "I love you so much."

"I love you too."

David ached. His chest hurt. He felt like he couldn't breathe with his envy constricting his chest. He did genuinely love Kurt, but now recognised that, in order for Kurt to be happy, Karofsky just had to let the two be. He smiled slightly. Kurt was happy; that's all that mattered. Simply put, he was in awe. Their relationship was beautiful.

Blaine couldn't help the uneasy stirring feeling in his stomach. Karofsky was looking at Kurt the same way that Kurt looked at him, the same way that Finn looked at Rachel, the same way that Burt and Carole looked at each other. It angered Blaine beyond belief. The only thing that stopped Blaine from hurting Karofsky was a little voice in the back of his head that reminded him that Kurt was his, and only his. And there were bigger fish to fry. He shook himself back to reality. Eddie had let them go. Something was going wrong.

Blaine looked around the room and realised that his enemies were panicking.

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Eddie produced a gun that had been wedged in his waistband, in the small of his back, and trained it at Karofsky, Kurt and Blaine.

For a solid fifteen seconds, no-one moved or said a word.

Painfully and slowly, Blaine raised his hands in surrender, taking a very measured step forward, limping gingerly.

He gulped in absolute terror, a lone tear shimmering as it rolled down his face.

"Eddie, man. Come on," Blaine urged, his voice shaking. "Please, just put that down. We can talk without the... gun," he said, struggling to spit out the name of the weapon.

As the sound of sirens flooded into the room, the boys clocked what had got Eddie so rattled. "The police are here, aren't they?"

The silence from the ringleader confirmed the assumption to Blaine. Listen, if they catch you with that thing, it gets a whole lot worse for you. Just put it down. Or give it to me. I'll take the rap for it. I'll tell them it's mine. Just put it down."

Eddie adjusted his aim so it was solely on Blaine and cocked it.

Blaine recoiled backwards, stumbling his way back to his boyfriend, who was in open mouthed shock. Blaine wanted nothing more than to hold him tight, and breathe in his comforting scent of vanilla and his strawberry shampoo. But he couldn't. He couldn't move in fear of Eddie's reaction. And due to the fact that he could barely move his limbs without excruciating pain.

In one sudden moment, Eddie lurched forward and attempted to grab one of the boys. Thinking fast, Blaine pushed Kurt behind him and out of the reach of the assailant.

His heartbeat quickened even more when the newly appointed and clearly unhinged leader grabbed him by the arm, clutching the gun tightly in his free hand, the barrel pressing right at his left temple. Then everything stopped; his breathing and his beating heart ceased in a moment of hazy confusion and weight of the reality of the situation.