Thirty Nine

Amelia awoke to hear Elijah and Klaus arguing. She groaned as she rolled over and slipped out of bed. She pulled on a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt before making her way to Klaus' art room, where she heard their voices.

"Niklaus, it has been a month. Now, I feel our sister's loss as deeply as you. But, you must stop distracting yourself with this ridiculous behavior and channel it into some kind of action," Elijah said, as Amelia leaned against the door.  Klaus grabbed a paintbrush and returned to his painting.

"Why must I, exactly?" He asked.

"Because over the course of Marcel's tenure, the city grew accustomed to having a king. You wanted this throne. Now, you must accept the responsibility that accompanies that," Elijah told him.

"Apologies, but I'm rather ensconced in other pursuits," Klaus said as he continued to paint.

"If you can so easily neglect your home, I wonder what will become of your daughter. Have you forgotten what it was like to live beneath the threat of violence? We must work together, Niklaus. Let's make this city whole again," Elijah said.

"Perhaps it is too broken to mend," Klaus told him, before he moved around him and grabbed the paintbrush again, returning to his work.

"If you won't do anything, I will," Elijah said before he walked away. He gave a small smile to Amelia who returned it.

"You know, arguing first thing in the morning is not a good habit to get yourself into," Amelia said from her position in the doorway. Klaus turned to her, and she furrowed her eyebrows when she saw the torment in his eyes. She walked over and gently set the paintbrush down, before studying him.

"What's wrong?" She asked. Klaus took a deep breath before he pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"I miss her," he whispered.

"As do I, but Elijah has a point. Nik, you wanted this throne so badly. Now that you have it, please at least do something with it," Amelia begged. Klaus looked at her sadly and pressed another kiss to her forehead, before returning to his painting. Amelia sighed, pressed a kiss to his shoulder and then walked away, knowing that this was going to be an ongoing battle.

***

"Hayley?" Amelia asked as she saw someone storm out of the church that looked eerily similar to her best friend. She had just visited her the other day, so Amelia wasn't sure why she was in the quarter. Hayley had said that the Bayou was where she belonged, and despite Amelia's pleads for her to come back to the compound, she had said no.

"Amelia, hey," Hayley said, coming over to her. Amelia gave her a hug and then grew worried when she sensed the anger coming from her friend.

"What's wrong?" The redhead asked.

"Elijah decided to be a dick, and hold a meeting with the heads of all the factions. Unfortunately, that meeting didn't include the werewolves," Hayley explained, which caused Amelia to pinch the bridge of her nose.

"I swear, the Mikaelson siblings will be the death of me," Amelia told her. "I'll see if I can do anything about it."

"No Amelia. It's okay. I can handle it," Hayley insisted.

"Are you sure?" Amelia asked, looking at her skeptically. Hayley nodded her head in response.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Okay then. Please be careful," Amelia told her. Hayley hugged her once more time before walking off in the opposite direction. Amelia turned to find Elijah walking out of the church, and she stood there with her arms crossed and an eyebrow raised.