Forty Three

A/N: Here it is my friends. Two weeks late, yes, but at least it's here. I really do apologize for it being so late, but there were a couple things that I was playing around with and I couldn't decide what I wanted to keep in and what I wanted to cut. Anyways, please enjoy and please read the author's note at the end.

Amelia didn't know what to feel. Should she feel happiness, no that was completely out of the question. Confused, no it was now pretty obvious to her that all the witches in New Orleans were cold blooded murderers. Grief, Amelia knew that she was definitely feeling grief.

When she and Elijah had burst through the doors of Saint Anne's church to see Klaus cradling Hayley's dead body in his arms, her entire world had shattered.

Now as she sat at the food of that sacristy with her head in her hands, tears rolling down her cheeks as Elijah laid her on the table behind her, all she could do was blame herself. She knew she should've stayed with Hayley and Genevieve and yet she didn't, and now because she didn't Hayley was dead.

"How?" Elijah asked, cutting through the misery in the room, shared by the three of them.

"I was bested," Klaus responded numbly, which was exactly how Amelia decided she felt. Completely and utterly numb.

"You were bested. Huh," Elijah said as he walked down in faced Klaus. "You were bested?" Amelia wasn't shocked by the outburst, it was the same one she was having inside her head. "My invincible brother," Elijah continued.

Klaus stood up shakily, which left the redhead as the only one still on the floor.

"They took the baby. But there's still time. We can save her," Klaus told Elijah. The two turned to Amelia who looked up at them with determination on their faces.

"Let's go kill some witches," Amelia seethed as she and the Mikaelson brothers vamp sped to the cemetery.

***

The three rounded a corner, after searching the cemetery for what seemed to be hours. Amelia was aware of the high presence of magic, but she passed it off as all the dead witches around her.

"The tombs are empty. The grounds are deserted. She's not here!" Elijah yelled in frustration.

"This is the only place they can be! We'll keep searching," Klaus responded.

"They are not here, Niklaus! We're wasting time!" Elijah cried out again. It was obvious that all three were growing desperate to find the baby, and avenge Hayley.

"The Harvest was here! The Reaping was here! They're about to perform a ritual which will feed their ancestors for centuries! Ancestors who are buried here!" Klaus reasoned. He turned in a circle but stopped when he took note of an angel statue, sitting on top of a nearby tomb. "This statue-- we've passed by this three times, all whilst going in the same direction."

"They've fabricated an illusion," Amelia said in disgust, mostly with herself. Of course it was an illusion, that's why the tingling in her head was so strong. Klaus vamp sped up to the top of the tomb with the angel on it, and Amelia saw his face drop.

"That's one word for it."

***

The sun rose as the three desperately tried to break out of the illusion that the witches had created. Amelia had performed all the spells she knew, but her power was nothing compared to the power of the ancestors surrounding them.

"It's ingenious. I can see them, I can feel them, and yet they are not real," Klaus said as he marked a stone, so that the three would know if they were doubling back on themselves.