1. Happy Married Life

Halima looks at herself one last time in the mirror. She is dressed in a blue  lace sewn into a straight skirt with a closed slit at the back and a paplon top with white nets at the edge of each hand. Her head gear is tied into a tight but beautiful design which can't seem to be explained. It has almost twelve pleats then some designs at the top that look like rumples.

She is wearing blue heels with silver touches. A silver necklace jewelry set adorns her neck, ear, head, wrists, index fingers and left ankle. A white veil with blue designs at the edges of the veil is wrapped around Halima's body in the traditional lafayya way. Her make up is done flawlessly beautiful by one of the famous makeup artists in Abuja.

As she looks at her glowing hands, she remembers the torture Fatima, UmmuKalthum and her mother made her go through all in the name of gyaran jiki. But now looking at herself in the mirror she appreciates every bit of the torture.

The whole look is just Mashaa Allah.

The wedding has been hectic but it's worth it. Today is the daurin aure, wuni and budan kai. Tomorrow Halima and her husband to be, Sa'eed will take their wedding pics and then Halima will be taken to her husband's house.

Halima never thought she'll ever get married to Sa'eed Abba Sulayman. Some years ago she took him as nothing but her best friend's elder brother - even though at some point she had a mild crush on him which went away after she was threatened by her classmate - but now here she is grinning from ear to ear as she looks at herself in the mirror. Mrs Sa'eed, she blushes st the thought of the name.

"Laaaa, jibeta she's blushing fah. Bakida kunya koh? Don't you know that you're seated in front of your inlaw? Oh yaran yanxu bah kunya bah Tsoron idon nagaba." Fatima says while laughing.

Fatima is dressed in a black ankara sewn into a six piece skirt and blowse with golden flowers around the neck and paplon hands. Her headgear is tied in the ture Kaga tsiya style. She refuses to apply any makeup saying it'll only attract illegible men to her.

Halima smacks her saying, "Jimin yarinya fah. Ai yanzu you'll have to respect me saboda I'll be marrying your elder brother which technically makes me your elder sister."

UmmuKalthum looks at them and says, "ai nima da badan badan bah dah Teemah would've been my sister in law and I'd have to respect her fah." Trust UmmuKalthum to be insensitive.

A maladroit silence seasoned with thick tension envelopes the room until a beep which seems to come from UmmuKalthum's phone cuts through it. She checks it and beams.

"Congratulations Mrs Sa'eed." Yodeling can be heard from afar and the door is open.

"Come down for the sermon." Fatima adjusts Halima's lafayya for her till its covering her face half way. She puts on her stilettos and they walk down the stairs as the old women littered around the house start yodeling.

The first person Halima goes to is Hajjo, her mother. Halima tries to sit on the ground but Hajjo motions her to sit beside her on the couch.

Hajjo adjusts Halima's lafayya a bit to the back and looks into her eyes. Halima can see her fighting back her tears. She starts with the khutbah and Halima listens to her attentively.

"Da farko dai I'd like you to know that marriage is not a bed of roses despite the fact that it's the sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad peace be unto him. Or, we can actually call it a bed of roses as roses are beautiful but most times have thorns that prick us. One just has to be careful not to get pricked by these thorns. And being careful means never argue with your husband, no matter what, whether you're in the right or wrong do not argue with him.