chapter six

Leonard POV

I went to the adoption center to see Amelia and maybe take her for some ice cream and talk about the adoption center and how they are treated there.

I entered the adoption center to find another woman instead of finding Mrs.summers.

She welcomed me and then I asked her if she could bring Amelia for me.

"Of course, sir. Just a minute." She said leaving to find Amelia.

When Amelia saw it's me who wanted to see her, she smiled and came over.

"Hey, Amelia. How are you doing?" I asked her.

"I am fine. Thanks."

" Would you like to come with me for some ice cream to talk for a little bit?" I asked her.

"Yeah, of course." She said smiling.

I went to ask the women that was here at the adoption center if I could take Amelia for a while, and she agreed so I went back to Amelia.

We started walking down the street so I started making a conversation.

"How are you doing at the adoption center? I mean how are you treated there? Does any one bother you?"

"I am fine there, the lady that was here today is Miss Jessica. She is a kind lady, she treats us well." She told me.

"What about Mrs.Summers? Does she treat you well?" I asked skeptically.

She was silent for a moment "yeah-oh here we are." She said as soon she realized that we finally got to the ice cream shop.

I let her change the subject for now. I bought us some ice cream and then we sat in a booth as we continued our conversation.

"So, how does Mrs. Summers treat you?" I asked her.

"She treats us fi-" I interrupted her knowing that she is lying.

"Tell me the truth please, I saw how she treated the kids when I dropped you off. So tell me was it a one time thing? Or is she always like that? I promise you she won't do anything to you if you tell me, I won't let her." I told her softly

"It's just- she bullies us. She.." She paused.

"It's okay. Tell me and I promise you I won't allow her to do anything to you." I promised her.

"She-The kids learned from her and became mean. I tried to talk to them but they wouldn't listen. Only Avery listened to me, that's why they always bully us and Mrs.Summers would encourage them and sometimes join in." She said sadly.

"Does she hurt physically or mentally?" I asked her. How can someone do this to children.

"She mostly bullies us mentally but sometimes she gets a little rough." She sighed.

"I promise you everything is going to be okay. Did she ever do anything to you?"

"Not directly, sometimes when someone thought of adopting me when I was little, she would scare them off and tell them that I will just be a burden, so they left. Untill I became big that no one thought about adopting me. All of the people who come to adopt, will only adopt little kids." She told her eyes filled with tears.

"Did she do that to other kids or did she just not like you?" I asked her gently.

"Mrs. Summers wouldn't leave the kids alone, when Darius came to adopt Avery, Mrs.Summers tried to make him leave her and not adopt her, but he was persistent. But not all of the people are like him. And I really so happy that he adopted her. She is finally going to be happy and have a father that cares for her. I am just so happy for her."