Singing session

Lhori was walking through the silent halls of the House of Lamentation. It was well past midnight and she was supposed to be in bed, but she just couldn't sleep. She adjusted the strap from her guitar and kept walking. She wanted to find a secluded place far from bedrooms, so she won't wake anyone.

She found a door leading to a small library opened and peered inside curiously. It was filled with bookshelves and a big desk with an imposing chair. She had a feeling the chair belonged to Lucifer and she quickly looked around, to make sure no one was there. She went inside closing the doors behind her quietly. She looked at the chair, but after a second, she just sat on the desk with crossed legs, taking her guitar and trying a few accords.

She played a simple song, just to warm up her voice. She hasn't been singing since she came here a month ago. She just couldn't bring herself to it. So much was happening so fast. But then, there were so many emotions inside of her, that really needed to be let out. And the only way she knew how to express them was to sing her heart out. She turned herself to look through a big window looking over quiet Devildom.

And so she just closed her eyes, and sang, her fingers finding the well-known accords without hesitation. She almost finished the whole song, but suddenly she felt some other presence in the room. Instinctively, not breaking the rhythm she looked at the door. Her hand slipped hitting the wrong tone, and she jumped in surprise, her voice dying on her mouth.

At the door, leaning lazily on the frame stood Lucifer, his arms crossed, a playful smile on his lips. His dark crimson eyes sparkling brightly.

"Please, don't stop on my account," he said with a smirk. She hopped back to the floor from the desk, feeling her cheeks burning. He wasn't supposed to hear this song. No one was supposed to hear it. It was far too personal to her. Plus, she really shouldn't be here at this hour.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake anyone," she said lamely, stammering a bit. The oldest of the demons' brothers kept making her uncomfortable.

"You didn't. I came here to collect some books. I was on my way here when I heard your singing."

"Ehm... sorry about that... I..."

"It was really good," he said not taking his eyes from her, and not making any attempt to move from where he stood, blocking the door. "Have you written it?"

"Yes... But it's nothing. It's just... Well... No one was supposed to hear it, to be honest. It's just a way for me to vent." She was stammering,  always had while she was nervous. Talking nonsense, and looking stupid. "It's just... I couldn't sleep, and thought I just..."

"It's ok," he said simply. He moved from his spot and in a few steps was standing close in front of her. "Although, you are aware that you should be in your room at certain hours, right?" She swallowed hard and wanted to avert her gaze, but his eyes were hypnotic. She was sure it was some demon superpower.

"I'm so sorry. I'll just go back there right now." She started moving, but Lucifer clasped his hand on her wrist. Gently yet forcefully making her stop.

"Wait." She looked at him raising her brows. A small smile was playing on his lips. "Play one more song."

"I don't want to trouble you..."

"I'm a fan of good music," he said. "And I like your voice. Play one more song while I look for my books." She opened her mouth to protest, but he continued. "I'm not asking. You are out of your room after curfew, which is strictly forbidden. You're lucky I'm in a good mood." His crimson eyes shone brightly with glee. "So, one more song, and I'll walk you to your room." She just nodded quickly and moved back to lean on the desk, while taking her guitar. Lucifer gave her a satisfied smile and walk to the shelves looking for books.

Lhori found her hands trembling a little, but she started playing, nonetheless.

After a moment the shaking went away and she managed to pretend Lucifer is not here and go on with the song, as usual, her voice getting stronger and more confident with every passing line. 

She finished and let the last accord sound. Lucifer just stood there, with a book under his arm and an unreadable expression on his face.

"I think you are really good," he said with a small smile.

"I... thank you..." she replied feeling her cheeks burning again, she quickly turned her gaze from his sparkling crimson eyes. "I should go back to my room now."

"That you should," he agreed and gestured her to move. "I'll walk you. Make sure you won't get lost," he added with a smirk.

They walked through the halls in awkward silence. Lhori was looking at her bare feet.

"Wait." Lucifer stopped just noticing the same. "Where are your shoes?"

"I don't like wearing shoes for the whole day. I... I don't have any sleepers... I'm fine barefoot though," she said shrugging.

"Really?" he cocked his eyebrow looking at her like she was crazy. "The floor is solid, cold stone."

"I'm perfectly fine," she said, steeling her voice. Lucifer sighed heavily, took her by the elbow, and steered her to walk on the narrow carpet in the middle of the hall.

"You are unbelievable," he murmured.

They walked in silence until they reached her room.

"You know we have a music room here, right?" he said unexpectedly.

"You do?" she asked surprised.

"I'll remember to talk to Mammon about how crappy guardian he is," Lucifer murmured brushing his brow with annoyance. "Yes, we have. There is a piano there, and a pretty good acoustic too. Ask Mammon... or maybe not. Ask Satan. He used to play that piano, I'm sure he would gladly show you where it is. Maybe you can play together sometime..." 

That was the longest conversation Lhori had with Lucifer since she came here. Despite the aura of fear and respect around him, she found herself really liking this guy, who was trying to be responsible for all his wild brothers.

"I make sure to ask him then," she said opening her door, but she turned back to him again. "Thank you, Lucifer. For... you know... not punishing me for running around after curfew." She smiled at him. She truly smiled, as her mood was significantly better than a few hours ago.

"It's the last time I let it slip," he warned raising his finger threateningly, but he was smiling too. "If you can't sleep... Just ask someone to accompany you, ok? I don't like the thought of you being alone here in the middle of the night. It's Devildom after all, and you as a human, made a really tempting prey... I'm sure if you ask any of my brothers, they will be more than happy to accompany you."

"Ok, I will."

"Or, if you are planning another night singing session, you can always ask me," he added quietly.

"Thank you, Lucifer," she replied feeling her cheeks go red again. "Have a good night."

"You too. Sweet dreams, Lhori."

She woke up in the morning and stretched yawning. She went about her morning routine and suddenly stopped abruptly looking in surprise at the door. There, in a neat row, were standing five different pairs of sleepers. Each in different styles, some fluffy, some simple, others elegant. She smiled feeling warm inside and wrote a simple 'Thank you 😊' message and send it to Lucifer.

____

AN:

I always imagined Lhori singing the songs from Icon for Hire band. The ones I had in mind for this chapter were Supposed to be and Magic (acoustic versions), you can check them out if you're interested.